Fall in love with seasonal drinks

Tis' the season for pumpkin, caramel, and chocolate. Here's a look at some of the seasonal beverages from local coffee shops.

At the Fox and Fern café located in Forest Hill, this Pumpkin Spice Latte can be purchased throughout the fall season. The beverage is embellished with a decorative leaf created with foam.

Adriana Guidi

Adriana Guidi

Pumpkin Spice Latte Presentation: 5/5, Flavor: 3/5

Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte didn’t exactly live up to the hype that basic white girls bestowed upon it. A few sips into the drink and the overpowering taste of pumpkin was gone, leaving only coffee. While the flavor was sub-par the presentation was clean and appealing to the eye.

Oprah Cinnamon Chai Tea Latte Presentation: 3/5, Flavor: 1/5

Starbucks Oprah Cinnamon Chai Tea Latte didn’t seem to have any cinnamon in it at all. In fact this drink tasted like dirty hot water with a small amount of foam to top it off, which was a big disappointment. The drink was also presented in a very plain way that wasn’t appealing to the eye at all. Oprah, where did you go wrong?

Salted Caramel Mocha Latte Presentation: 5/5, Flavor 4/5

Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha Latte is tasty if you need a bitter-sweet pick-me-up. The salted caramel sweetens the drink to the point where it almost tastes like hot chocolate, but then the coffee works its way in and makes it bitter. The presentation receives a five out of five while the drink earns a well-deserved four out of five.

Caramel Apple Cider Latte Presentation: 5/5, Flavor 4/5

Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider Latte is good for you if you enjoy hot apple cider, hence the name. But you might want to be careful because the apple cider can come on too strong and surprise you. The presentation wins a five out of five while the drink itself earns a surprising four out of five.

Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate Presentation: 4/5 Flavor: 3/5

Wawa’s Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate tastes like you dipped cardboard in Wawa’s Pumpkin Spice Latte. It tastes good, but it feels fake because it tastes like really sugary coffee, not hot chocolate. If you want to order a seasonal drink at Wawa, I would just get the Pumpkin Spice Latte. It tastes like what it it is supposed to taste like, and it’s cheap.

Pumpkin Spice Latte: Presentation: 5/5 Flavor: 5/5

Fox and Fern café’s Pumpkin Spice Latte is the best latte I have ever tried. The presentation is beautiful with a decorative leaf sculpted from foam on the top. The pumpkin taste itself was not overbearing, and was accompanied by an underlying cinnamon taste. I recommend this latte over the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Katherine Grimm is a Media Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

Nick Miller and Adriana Guidi are Entertainment Editors for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.