• "Head Full of Dreams"
    • The Best
    • The Worst

Nick Tunes: ‘Head Full of Dreams’ is the album of our dreams

A&E Editor Nick Miller breaks down new albums track by track, picking each song apart down to its smallest flaws. “Nick Tunes” informs the reader of their poor music taste by pointing out which songs are and aren’t worth listening to.

February 3, 2016

Above is the cover art for Coldplay's album

Above is the cover art for Coldplay's album "Head Full of Dreams." It was released Dec. 4.

Coldplay: “Head Full of Dreams”

Rating: 4/5

Coldplay’s new album, “Head Full of Dreams,” was released on Dec. 4. It easily lives up to the standard set by their previous albums, while still remaining unique. Its sound mixes alternative rock with influences from newer genres to form a hypnotic type of vibe. The majority of the songs were amazing, but there were a few that seemed misplaced.

The Best:

“Head Full of Dreams”

I’m in love with this song because of its intro. I love the way it builds from these ethereal sounds to some sort of rock and dance hybrid, adding each different sound along the way. When the vocals are added, the song is still fun to listen to, but I almost wish it could just be 3 minutes of the intro, because the cutoff point where the song goes from something magical to a regular catchy song is when the vocals are added.

“Hymn for the Weekend” (feat. Beyonce)

This song is probably my favorite on the whole album. I love everything from the opening in which Beyonce strutted up, snatched us all bald, then walked off like it was nothing, to the harmonies during the verses, to the extreme vocal and musical intensity of the chorus. This song is aptly named, because Beyonce and Coldplay are our saviors.

“Fun” (feat. Tove Lo)

Something about this song is inspiring – I think it’s the high notes. Chris Martin’s vocal range in this song moves me. I got so into it that I didn’t even notice Tove Lo was in the song until I looked at the title and replayed it. It takes a lot to totally overshadow a voice as solid as Tove Lo’s, so props to Martin.

“Up&up”

This is how you successfully close an album. “Up&up” opens up with a simple track and soft vocals to pull focus to the lyrical beauty of the song. The chorus is catchy, but nothing special. The verses are really what’s great about this song.

The Worst:

“Adventure of a Lifetime”

If you’re going to tell me this song is the adventure of a lifetime, it better be the adventure of a lifetime. The track sounded like a collection of ringtones off a flip phone, and I can’t even remember what the vocals sounded like because of how distracting it was. The whole time I was listening to this song I wanted to disintegrate.

“Kaleidoscope”

Something about this song feels culty to me. This sounds like Charles Manson would play it to brainwash people. The only thing “Kaleidoscope” did for me is make my ears ring and my hair stand up.

“Army of One”

I really liked the first half of this song, then at the three-minute mark, it completely changes. Martin’s barely singing, or maybe he’s rapping. The track is really weird, and not in a good way. Imagine if a chain-smoking alien abducted you – that’s what it felt like.

Nick Miller is an Entertainment Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.