The School Newspaper of John Carroll School

The Patriot

Fake it ’til you make it

Fake it ’til you make it

Paige Alban and Ianna Pirozzi
March 24, 2017
Filed under Community, In Focus

As spring dances approach, many students turn to artificial tanning methods in order to replicate the summer glow that they desire

Sophomore shoots for the stars

Sophomore shoots for the stars

Taylor Bynion, Copy Editor
March 22, 2017
Filed under Community

As sophomore Gabrielle Lambert looks around the visitor’s check-in office at NASA, nerves and rapid thoughts clutter her mind. She wonders if she will be able to have intelligent conversations with such smart people. Will this experience live up to her expectations? Will this further fuel her love...

Remembering Josh Hamer

Remembering Josh Hamer

Caroline Cooney and Grace Mottley
March 20, 2017
Filed under Community

As sophomore Ryan Poholsky walks into school, he notices a crowd of students staring at the large image of sophomore Josh Hamer plastered on the wall. Several students stop and embrace each other with tears in their eyes while others kneel on the ground writing letters dedicated to Josh. Despite his gri...

Behind the scenes

Behind the scenes

Alyssa Kraus, Copy Editor
March 17, 2017
Filed under Community

The lights dim, and the hum of chatter from the audience ceases. A loud voice echoes throughout the auditorium requesting that all phones be silenced or turned off. Then, the music swells and the nerves set in as senior stage manager Erica Deyesu listens intently to her headset and communicates with...

College reviews: Drexel University

College reviews: Drexel University

Christina Giovanazi, Sports Editor
March 14, 2017
Filed under College Reviews, Community

Campus: Located in West Philadelphia, Drexel’s campus is fully immersed in the city. It’s in an area called University City, which also houses the University of Pennsylvania and University of the Sciences. Although it’s in a big city, when I walked around campus I never felt lost because a...

Pants are a choice, not a punishment

Pants are a choice, not a punishment

Paige Alban, In-Focus Editor
March 6, 2017
Filed under Community

As I walk into school, an overwhelming wave of anxiety rushes over my body. I hold my head up high and walk past the people staring. Laughter spreads around me as people glance down at my khaki-covered legs, and I can’t help but think, “I never thought the day would come that I’d be anxious to...

Power of protests

Power of protests

Paige Alban and Ianna Pirozzi
February 17, 2017
Filed under Community, In Focus

Whether they carry signs or send tweets, some students and faculty turn to protesting to spread their ideas, while others question the effectiveness of these actions

Think ink

Think ink

Grace Mottley and Christina Giovanazi
February 17, 2017
Filed under Community

Senior Shannon Norwood peels the layer of plastic wrap away from her skin to reveal the scrawling script on her wrist, which reads “Darling, you’ll be okay.” After two years of waiting, she’s finally gotten a tattoo, and she couldn’t be happier. Norwood is one of the members of the community...

This isn’t beautiful

This isn’t beautiful

Caroline Cooney and Taylor Bynion
February 16, 2017
Filed under Community, Top Stories

Staring at her dinner plate, junior Jordan Wrzesien contemplates her next move to avoid eating what is placed in front of her. As she takes a small bite, she slowly chews the same piece over and over again until it dissolves in her mouth. Instantly, aggressive thoughts echo throughout her mind: this is ...

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Meet you at the barre

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Meet you at the barre

Christina Giovanazi, Sports Editor
February 10, 2017
Filed under Columns, Community

I hold onto the ballet barre in front of me for dear life as I try to raise my leg while also lifting a weight with my opposite arm. This is absolutely nothing like that ballet class I took in first grade. Barre isn’t new to the fitness world, but a recent influx of barre studios, such as Inline...

The School Newspaper of John Carroll School
Community