The School Newspaper of John Carroll School

The Patriot

• Senior Field Day will take place on May 5 at 1:00pm

• FCA meeting will take place on April 27 at 7:00am

• The Patriot receives the 2017 Online Pacemaker Award from the National Scholastic Press Association

Senior builds relationship with children in Vietnam

Senior builds relationship with children in Vietnam

Grace Mottley, Assignment Chief
January 26, 2017
Filed under Community, Top Stories

As senior Joe Rayman walks up to the children’s center in Vietnam, he’s suddenly attacked by a swarm of children. They’ve never met him, they don’t look like him, and they don’t speak his language, but they’re ecstatic to see him. Rayman arrived in Taipei, Taiwan on Dec. 26 and began not only h...

Gallery: Morning Star Powwow

Gallery: Morning Star Powwow

Caroline Cooney and Allie Taylor
January 26, 2017
Filed under Community, Photo Galleries

On Jan. 14, the annual Morning Star Powwow took place in the upper gym to honor the Native American culture and to raise money for scholarships for students at St. Labre Indian School in Ashland, Mont. Throughout the day, several members of the different tribes represented their culture by performing...

Powwow benefits St. Labre Indian School

Powwow benefits St. Labre Indian School

Anna Sullivan and Allie Taylor
January 26, 2017
Filed under Community, Student Life, Video

As dancers from all different tribes form a circle around the gym, the audience is invited to learn how to do traditional Native American dances. The Powwow featured a variety of Native American cultures on Jan. 14 from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Many dancers from all different tribes performed both tra...

Assembly sparks conversation in community

Assembly sparks conversation in community

Paige Alban and Allie Taylor
January 20, 2017
Filed under Community, Top Stories

By the time Barry Lee strummed the last note in his rendition of a traditional Native American song, conversation among students had already begun. The assembly showcased Native American culture while acting as a preview for the Morning Star Powwow. Some students found the music catchy and enjoyable ...

College reviews: Rutgers University

College reviews: Rutgers University

Adriana Guidi, Perspectives Editor
January 18, 2017
Filed under College Reviews, Community

Campus: Rutgers University consists of five different campuses within the main campus of New Brunswick and Piscataway. The campuses, which are named Livingston, Douglass, College Avenue, Cook, and Busch, each contain their own little personality. One minute while on College Avenue, you are in a small c...

The Breakfast Club offers safe place for community

The Breakfast Club offers safe place for community

Caroline Cooney, Editor in Chief
January 12, 2017
Filed under Community, Video

Last year, a group of students from the class of 2016 established The Breakfast Club with the hopes of creating an outlet for those in the community who need a support system. On Monday, Jan. 2, members of The Breakfast Club gathered together in the senior classroom with Mobile Crisis Team Manag...

Long story short

Long story short

Grace Mottley, Assignment Chief
December 29, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life, Top Stories

Megan sits at her desk, scrolling through her Instagram feed as her copy of “The Story of Edgar Sawtelle” sits open on her desk, untouched. She has a test on the book the next day, but she knows that she can sparknote it and still pass, so she ignores her book. Megan is not her real name, but she...

Rise and grind

Rise and grind

Erin McCloskey, Community Editor
December 26, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life

Senior Carly Schofield grabs her backpack and rushes to her car. The clock is ticking, and there are only 15 minutes before school begins. Schofield is stuck at a crossroad. Wawa is in one direction, while school is in the other. Immediately, she knows what to do. She may be late to school, but at l...

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Coffee detox proves almost disastrous

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Coffee detox proves almost disastrous

Christina Giovanazi, Sports Editor
December 23, 2016
Filed under Columns, Community

It’s mod four and I’m still half-asleep. My brain feels like it has a pulse, preventing me from focusing on my Physics classwork. I’m slightly in a daze, unable to concentrate on anything. I muster up enough concentration to go to the nurse’s office. At the minimum, I need Advil. Actually,...

Patriots adopt families in need

Patriots adopt families in need

Pia Scotto, Community Editor
December 22, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life

“We always bring stuff in, and I always try to make stuff homemade. This year we have a little girl in the family who likes ‘Frozen,’ so I’m going to try to make her a ‘Frozen’ blanket,” senior Olivia Barnhart said about the “little tradition” her advisory has this time each year of...

A Patriot Holiday 2016: JC gives thanks

A Patriot Holiday 2016: JC gives thanks

Drew Forthman, Copy Editor
December 9, 2016
Filed under Community, Video

The Advent and holiday season begins with the uniquely American holiday of Thanksgiving and ends with the worldwide holiday of Christmas. This is a time when we all reflect and give thanks for the good in our lives and for everything that we are so blessed to have. We asked members of the JC family...

The School Newspaper of John Carroll School
Community