The School Newspaper of John Carroll School

The Patriot

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Coffee detox proves almost disastrous

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Coffee detox proves almost disastrous

Christina Giovanazi, Sports Editor
December 23, 2016
Filed under Columns, Community

It’s mod four and I’m still half-asleep. My brain feels like it has a pulse, preventing me from focusing on my Physics classwork. I’m slightly in a daze, unable to concentrate on anything. I muster up enough concentration to go to the nurse’s office. At the minimum, I need Advil. Actually,...

Patriots adopt families in need

Patriots adopt families in need

Pia Scotto, Community Editor
December 22, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life

“We always bring stuff in, and I always try to make stuff homemade. This year we have a little girl in the family who likes ‘Frozen,’ so I’m going to try to make her a ‘Frozen’ blanket,” senior Olivia Barnhart said about the “little tradition” her advisory has this time each year of...

A Patriot Holiday 2016: JC gives thanks

A Patriot Holiday 2016: JC gives thanks

Drew Forthman, Copy Editor
December 9, 2016
Filed under Community, Video

The Advent and holiday season begins with the uniquely American holiday of Thanksgiving and ends with the worldwide holiday of Christmas. This is a time when we all reflect and give thanks for the good in our lives and for everything that we are so blessed to have. We asked members of the JC family...

Seniors say no to relationships

Seniors say no to relationships

Zachary Miller, Media Editor
December 9, 2016

Students standing at their lockers watch as two newly-dating seniors walk down the hallway hand in hand. Some stare in jealous awe, while others think, “What did they get themselves into?” According to a survey conducted by The Patriot, 53 percent of seniors say that starting a new relationshi...

Teacher Spotlight: Fine Arts teacher lives out his passion

Teacher Spotlight: Fine Arts teacher lives out his passion

Ianna Pirozzi, In-Focus Editor
December 6, 2016
Filed under Community, Profiles, Top Stories

Fine Arts teacher Michael Gaudreau, class of ‘70, sits in his classroom among various student drawings and sculptures. Despite the thin layer of clay that seems to cover everything, Gaudreau seems to be right at home: he is sharing his passion and inspiring others with art. Before Gaudreau began t...

Is that a vegan thing?

Is that a vegan thing?

Caroline Cooney and Alyssa Kraus
November 22, 2016

Junior Nicole Kanaras slowly makes her way through the cafeteria line, examining all of her options for lunch: a hamburger, chicken tenders, a grilled cheese, or a chef’s salad. Each of the foods in front of her have something in common: they contain animal products. Disappointed, she turns away and...

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Fast at your own risk

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Fast at your own risk

Christina Giovanazi, Community Editor
November 21, 2016
Filed under Columns, Community

Believe it or not, fasting isn’t just for religious occasions and spiritual cleansings. It’s also a lifestyle and diet trend with benefits beyond purely weight loss. The 5:2 Fast Diet is the most famous intermittent fasting diet. Dieters eat normally for five days and then eat less than 500 calories...

The common stress

The common stress

Pia Scotto, Erin McCloskey, and Christina Giovanazi
November 18, 2016

Senior Megan King types anxiously on her laptop - the clock is ticking and she is almost out of time. She has to leave in half an hour for Junior Retreat, where she is volunteering as a peer leader, but her dreaded deadline has arrived. Her college applications must be submitted before retreat. S...

Double standards

Double standards

Grace Mottley, Assignment Chief
November 17, 2016

A group of students crane their necks to stare at one phone, anxious to see their classmate’s latest Snapchat story: a video of two students making out. Their classmate may have thought the video was private, but she was wrong: five people unauthorized to see her account have now seen her “secret”...

High Expectations

High Expectations

Paige Alban, Elizabeth Harmison, and Ianna Pirozzi
November 14, 2016
Filed under Community, Drug Testing Policy, In Focus

The administration launched their new drug policy at the beginning of this school year with high hopes for its efficacy. Will it pass the test?

Join the farm frenzy

Join the farm frenzy

Pia Scotto and Elizabeth Harmison
November 11, 2016
Filed under Community

It’s that time of the year again: the leaves change colors, the temperature gets colder, and everyone starts to post artsy pictures of them holding pumpkins and apple cider on Instagram and VSCO. With all the hustle and bustle of the season, the hardest thing to do is pick the perfect place for you...

The School Newspaper of John Carroll School
Community