The School Newspaper of John Carroll School

The Patriot

• Senior Field Day will take place on May 5 at 1:00pm

• FCA meeting will take place on April 27 at 7:00am

• The Patriot receives the 2017 Online Pacemaker Award from the National Scholastic Press Association

College reviews: Georgetown University

College reviews: Georgetown University

Grace Mottley, News Editor
May 9, 2016
Filed under College Reviews, Community

Campus: Located in the outskirts of Washington D.C., surrounded by the suburbs, and a few streets of cute shops and stores, Georgetown University consists of remarkable, classic buildings that offer not only beauty, but also add a feeling of tradition to the campus. The first things that stood out we...

Defying beauty standards

Defying beauty standards

Lilly Stannard, In-Focus Editor
May 6, 2016
Filed under Community, In Focus, In-Depth

Then four-year-old Morgan Johnson was playing a game of tag with her pre-school classmates like she did every day during recess. When a particular kid was picked to be the tagger, he refused to chase Johnson and said, to her face, “I don’t play with dark meat.” Ever since that day, Johnson, now a ...

Grab and go

Grab and go

Pia Scotto and Kelly Foulk
May 3, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life

At 3:20 on April 22, a member of The Patriot staff went down to get one of the cafeteria’s newest items, Japanese soda, only to find them completely sold out. These sodas are part of the cafeteria’s latest decision to embrace the diverse culture at JC and to make the international students feel mor...

Grandparents shadow JC

Grandparents shadow JC

Katherine Grimm, Media Editor
April 29, 2016
Filed under Community, Profiles, Video

On Thursday, April 22, grandparents were invited to spend time with the grandchildren for lunch, a tour of the school, and a couple classes for Grandparent's Day. The grandparents were also invited to attend a jazz ensemble and Bella Voce performance.

How we handle discrimination against LGBT

How we handle discrimination against LGBT

April 29, 2016
Filed under Community, LGBT Community

Scott Novak, hesitantly stands up in front of all of his classmates. The same classmates he passes every day in the hall, sits next to in class, and eats with at lunch. Teachers sit too, some who know him personally and others who don’t. Silence fills every corner of the room, but an initial wave of...

Keep it Real: I almost became a sharkie sandwich

Keep it Real: I almost became a sharkie sandwich

Kelly Foulk, News Editor
April 28, 2016
Filed under Columns, Community

To many, being locked in a small room with seven of their family members for an entire hour may sound like h-e double hockey sticks (Especially when they realize that no phones are allowed). To me, it was just a fun Sunday evening. Escape rooms are a fad popping up across the country where a group of people ...

War of words

War of words

Azanae Barrow, Community Editor
April 27, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life, Top Stories

“I was afraid to scream for help because I was hoping I could fix the situation myself without anyone knowing. A lot of people at the party knew I was in a relationship and knew my boyfriend personally and I didn’t want them to tell him that someone had tried to rape me so I just kept trying to get...

College reviews: University of Maryland at College Park

College reviews: University of Maryland at College Park

Adriana Guidi, Entertainment Editor
April 27, 2016

Campus: The University of Maryland is a lively and beautiful campus located in the town of College Park, Md. The town of College Park is 15 miles from the White House. Although the town of College Park itself is not very exciting, it is a short 20-minute train ride right into the heart of Washingto...

Ducklings waddle into spring

Ducklings waddle into spring

April 21, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life, Top Stories, Video

Every year at JC there is a new group of ducklings that are born in the courtyard and protected by the mother duck. Students and faculty look forward to the arrival of new ducklings each spring.

Staying safe at senior week

Staying safe at senior week

Lilly Stannard, In-Focus Editor
April 21, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life

Senior Week can be a great time to have fun with your best friends at the beach before you go your separate ways and off to college. Ocean City has seen this tradition for decades as a celebration of successful graduation, but what begins as fun and games can quickly turn into destruction and even death...

College reviews: University of Florida

College reviews: University of Florida

Kelly Foulk, News Editor
April 20, 2016

Campus: The University of Florida is located in on a 2,000-acre campus in the quirky town of Gainesville, Fl. It is a four-year public university in a small city with a suburban setting. UF is considered a large university, with 35,043 total undergraduates. 7,192 of these students are degree-seekin...

Keep it Real: Keeping up with my dead homies

Keep it Real: Keeping up with my dead homies

Kelly Foulk, News Editor
April 17, 2016
Filed under Columns, Community

Do you believe in ghosts? When I tell people that I communicated with the dead using a piece of plastic and cardboard, I typically get one of two reactions: “It’s fake!” or “That’s terrifying!” There are lots of people who don’t believe that a piece of cardboard is sufficient to communi...

The School Newspaper of John Carroll School
Community