The School Newspaper of John Carroll School

The Patriot

Community helps senior reunite with mother

Community helps senior reunite with mother

Grace Mottley and Caroline Cooney
May 27, 2016
Filed under Community, Top Stories

As senior Mike Tertsea stands in the Baltimore Washington International Airport surrounded by his host family, who have nurtured him and loved him during his time in America, excitement and happiness envelops him. He eagerly scans the crowd for his mother, whom he hasn’t seen since he left his home in ...

Tim Perry wins Educator of the Year award

Tim Perry wins Educator of the Year award

Pia Scotto, Community Editor
May 25, 2016

On May 25, Earth Science teacher Tim Perry was announced as Educator of the Year. Over the last 21 years, Perry has taught an Earth Science class to freshmen, been head coach of the football team, was Dean of Students, and even conducted the orchestra. As Perry closes the book on his teaching career,...

Class of 2016 breaks prank tradition

Class of 2016 breaks prank tradition

Caroline Cooney, In-Focus Editor
May 18, 2016

[View the story "Rather than doing a single prank like previous years, the seniors did a week worth of pranks" on Storify]...

College reviews: Elizabethtown College

College reviews: Elizabethtown College

Daniel Robinson, Copy Editor
May 12, 2016
Filed under College Reviews, Community

Campus: Elizabethtown does not boast a large, flashy, campus like most schools. Instead, the campus at Etown is quaint, quiet, and fairly small (203 acres). Located in Elizabethtown, PA,  it is a quick drive from Harrisburg, the capital of Pennsylvania, as well as Hershey, where the famous Hershey Par...

College reviews: Georgetown University

College reviews: Georgetown University

Grace Mottley, News Editor
May 9, 2016

Campus: Located in the outskirts of Washington D.C., surrounded by the suburbs, and a few streets of cute shops and stores, Georgetown University consists of remarkable, classic buildings that offer not only beauty, but also add a feeling of tradition to the campus. The first things that stood out we...

Defying beauty standards

Defying beauty standards

Lilly Stannard, In-Focus Editor
May 6, 2016
Filed under Community, In Focus, In-Depth

Then four-year-old Morgan Johnson was playing a game of tag with her pre-school classmates like she did every day during recess. When a particular kid was picked to be the tagger, he refused to chase Johnson and said, to her face, “I don’t play with dark meat.” Ever since that day, Johnson, now a ...

Grab and go

Grab and go

Pia Scotto and Kelly Foulk
May 3, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life

At 3:20 on April 22, a member of The Patriot staff went down to get one of the cafeteria’s newest items, Japanese soda, only to find them completely sold out. These sodas are part of the cafeteria’s latest decision to embrace the diverse culture at JC and to make the international students feel mor...

Grandparents shadow JC

Grandparents shadow JC

Katherine Grimm, Media Editor
April 29, 2016
Filed under Community, Profiles, Video

On Thursday, April 22, grandparents were invited to spend time with the grandchildren for lunch, a tour of the school, and a couple classes for Grandparent's Day. The grandparents were also invited to attend a jazz ensemble and Bella Voce performance.

How we handle discrimination against LGBT

How we handle discrimination against LGBT

April 29, 2016
Filed under Community, LGBT Community

Scott Novak, hesitantly stands up in front of all of his classmates. The same classmates he passes every day in the hall, sits next to in class, and eats with at lunch. Teachers sit too, some who know him personally and others who don’t. Silence fills every corner of the room, but an initial wave of...

Keep it Real: I almost became a sharkie sandwich

Keep it Real: I almost became a sharkie sandwich

Kelly Foulk, News Editor
April 28, 2016
Filed under Columns, Community

To many, being locked in a small room with seven of their family members for an entire hour may sound like h-e double hockey sticks (Especially when they realize that no phones are allowed). To me, it was just a fun Sunday evening. Escape rooms are a fad popping up across the country where a group of people ...

War of words

War of words

Azanae Barrow, Community Editor
April 27, 2016
Filed under Community, Student Life, Top Stories

“I was afraid to scream for help because I was hoping I could fix the situation myself without anyone knowing. A lot of people at the party knew I was in a relationship and knew my boyfriend personally and I didn’t want them to tell him that someone had tried to rape me so I just kept trying to get...

College reviews: University of Maryland at College Park

College reviews: University of Maryland at College Park

Adriana Guidi, Entertainment Editor
April 27, 2016

Campus: The University of Maryland is a lively and beautiful campus located in the town of College Park, Md. The town of College Park is 15 miles from the White House. Although the town of College Park itself is not very exciting, it is a short 20-minute train ride right into the heart of Washingto...

The School Newspaper of John Carroll School
Community