Rachel’s Rants: Photoshop must stop

Opinion Columnist Rachel Amrhein points out the flaws in the system and fights for change. One column may not change the world, but every small change makes a difference.

Rachel Amrhein, Contributing Columnist

Not pretty enough. Not sexy enough. Not skinny enough.

These words run through teenage girls’ heads every single day.

Low self-esteem is a huge issue among teenagers. It can make them feel like they are not enough of a person and can lead to even more serious problems. According to an article on Confidence Coalition. org , 75 percent of girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in self-injury, drinking, smoking, bullying, or eating disorders.

A person’s physical appearance should never determine his or her worth.

The media is a huge reason for self-esteem issues. People want to look like the flawless, skinny models on glossy magazine covers. In reality, it is impossible to “measure up” to this standard because of Photoshop. Even the models do not resemble their pictures in real life.

This ridiculous beauty standard needs to go. Photoshop is unnecessary for false beautification because people are beautiful the way that they are.

Some companies like Aerie, Dove, and Seventeen Magazine are finally starting to realize this. They now market without using Photoshop on the models. Aerie’s entire ad campaign is focused on the idea that “The Real You is Sexy.” Marketing without Photoshop can help raise self-esteem in adolescents.

Recently, some celebrities have insisted on their photos being used without Photoshop. According to The Boston Globe.com, Keira Knightley allowed toplesss photos to be taken of her only if no Photoshop was used. She did it to show that Photoshop is unnecessary and in defense of normal bodies. This is the type of movement that needs to happen.

I personally refuse to shop at Victoria’s Secret because of the extensive Photoshop that they use on their models in order to create unrealistic expectations. Their entire marketing approach focuses on making girls feel bad about themselves, so that they will buy their clothes to make themselves feel sexier.

According to abcnews.go.com, Target has been called out on their extensive Photoshop use as well. In their swimsuit advertisements, they removed part of a model’s leg and crotch area in order to make her legs look skinnier. It was so obvious that thousands of people noticed and were outraged.

This is disgusting. It needs to stop. According to the same article from Confidence Coalition.org, 1 out of every 4 college age women has an eating disorder. Teenagers already have to deal with enough stress in high school from things like academics and their peers. They do not need the added pressure and stress that comes with low self-esteem.

Photoshop is not just going to go away, but with work, its use can be reduced.  Join me in boycotting clothing companies that use extensive Photoshop. Buy your clothing from companies that use natural pictures in their advertisements instead of places like Target and Victoria’s Secret.

Rachel Amrhein is an Opinion Columnist for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.