• Senior Field Day will take place on May 5 at 1:00pm

• FCA meeting will take place on April 27 at 7:00am

• The Patriot receives the 2017 Online Pacemaker Award from the National Scholastic Press Association

This time, take advantage

Assignment Chief Grace Mottley attempts to end deteriorating institutions and ideas of our society through a Coup de Grâce, a “decisive blow or finishing act,” as she questions the culture we live in. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, so what better way to change society than writing about it.

As I look back on my time at JC, I can’t help but smile and think of all the incredible people that have made this experience what it is.

From the moment I first walked through the doors, the teachers and faculty members who have worked with me have supported me unconditionally in anything I’ve tried to accomplish. They have all shown me that they truly care not only about my academic success, but also my success as a person, in addition to my happiness and health.

Our staff is an invaluable resource that students should take advantage of. We all know of the amazing coaches who lead their teams to victory and teach them about work ethic, the teachers who stay long hours to help tutor their students, and the administrators who work tirelessly to help students. But our staff goes above and beyond these measures to help their students.

For example Games Club moderator Shane Lawler, created the club to give students a chance to develop meaningful relationships and enjoy activities that they love. He devotes his time after school every single day just to give students a place to come together because he is one of the many faculty members who care about their students.

Every student should have a relationship with a member of staff that cares about them. But this relationship won’t develop if we sit around and wait for it to walk up to us and poke us. We have to look for it. The opportunity to find this relationship is there in all our faculty members already, we just have to be willing to take advantage of it.

Some teachers, like U.S. History teacher Darrion Siler, keep their classroom door open for students to come and talk about whatever they want, from random topics to students’ issues. However, we have to go seek out these teachers and walk through their doors. We can’t expect them to come to us, we have to actively seek out these teachers.

So, if you want to know how to make your experience at JC amazing and life-changing, all you have to do is look around you.

Take advantage of the teachers and faculty members who care about you and want to become a part of your life, and try to do everything you want to while you’re here. When you look back at your time at JC, you’ll be grateful for the memories you’ve made, the relationships you’ve developed, and the things you’ve accomplished. I know that I am.

Grace Mottley is the Assignment Chief for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.