Week in Sports: Week of March 27

The Patriot presents Week in Sports, which chronicles the sports games and scores from the past week. Throughout the seasons, stay on top of each team's highlights, upsetting defeats, and well-deserving victories.

During+warm+ups+before+the+game+against+Archbishop+Spalding+on+Thursday%2C+March+30%2C+senior+third+baseman+Zach+Rasmussen+throws+the+ball+to+a+fellow+teammate.+The+baseball+team+lost+the+game+with+a+final+score+of+0-6.+
During warm ups before the game against Archbishop Spalding on Thursday, March 30, senior third baseman Zach Rasmussen throws the ball to a fellow teammate. The baseball team lost the game with a final score of 0-6.

Zachary Miller

Zachary Miller

Softball – Wednesday

The softball team played Archbishop Spalding last week on Wednesday, March 29. In a decisive victory, the team won the game with a final score of 12-6.

Women’s Lacrosse – Tuesday, Thursday

In an exciting week, the women’s lacrosse team traveled for two games last week, coming home with a win and a loss. First, they faced Severn in an away game on Tuesday, March 28, and came out on top with a score of 16-5.

The team played an away game against Manchester Valley High School on Thursday, March 30, but lost in the final minutes with a score of 8-9. “[The most frustrating part] was when we were were tied up and [Manchester Valley was] able to score with only about 16 seconds left in the game. This was hard because a lot of the calls did not go our way and we really deserved to win that game,” freshman midfielder Katie Hormes said.

Badminton – Friday

The women’s badminton team lost to reigning champions IAAM B Conference champions Oldfields with a final score of 3-4. “In badminton, there is always room to improve. It is important that everyone finds what they are failing at and work hard in practice to make it better,” senior Erin McCaughey said.

Baseball – Tuesday, Thursday

The baseball team had some tough games this week, facing two top-ranking teams in the conference. On Tuesday, March 28, they faced Calvert Hall away and lost with a final score of 0-4. They then came home on Thursday, March 30 to face Archbishop Spalding and lost with a score of 0-6.

Men’s Lacrosse – Tuesday, Friday

The men’s lacrosse team played two games last week, both of which were away games. On Tuesday, March 28, they faced Archmere Academy and came away with a decisive win of 12-5. They then traveled to Severn School on Friday, March 31, and lost with a score of 7-20.

Emily Stancliff is a Sports Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.