Students reflect on loss of art teacher

Fine Arts teacher Bruno Baran instructs  Julie Kraus, class of '13. Baran was often known to help and always be available for students, according to students.

Patriot file photo

Fine Arts teacher Bruno Baran instructs Julie Kraus, class of '13. Baran was often known to help and always be available for students, according to students.

When art teacher Bruno Baran drove out of the faculty parking lot in his red pickup truck, he took with him his Mac computer, his large desk, and all the food he brought for his students. All that remains of him at the school are memories and a single painting he left behind for a student.

“I miss him,” senior art student Sunny Zhou said. This statement sums up the feelings of many students and faculty members that knew Baran.

“Art class doesn’t feel the same anymore and neither does the art wing,” senior AP Studio Art student Kate Runser said.  “I feel like I’ve lost my mentor. It’s hard to continue art without him.”

Baran was more than a mentor to students; he was a friend. “You [felt] some relationship with Baran beyond teacher and student, more friend or brother-like,” senior art student Henry Huang said.

According to Huang, Baran took the time to get to know each and every student in his classes on a personal level.

“[Mr. Baran] would always ask you how you are doing. Everyone always does that, but he truly wanted to know what was going on with you and what he could do to help,” junior art student Stephanie Imbierowicz said.

The art wing was a place of solace for many students, and Baran’s room was a big part of that. “Whenever I was upset and had an off mod I would go to his room. He would give me advice [and] a hug when I needed one,” senior AP Studio Art student Kelley Reilley said.

According to Baran’s students, his quirky and enthusiastic personality never failed to brighten everyone’s day either. “If someone was [in a bad mood], he would bring them up. You know when someone walks into the room and your day is brightened? That’s what he was like,” Imbierowicz said.

Aside from his uplifting personality, Baran knew the key to happiness: food. Sometimes Baran would bring in a gigantic pile of donuts from the Bel Air Bakery for his students. “Little things like that could really turn someone’s day around for the better,” senior AP Studio Art Student Faith Ensor said.

During class, Baran would often work on his own pieces along with the students. He was an inspiration to many of his students, including Reilley. “He was really passionate about art. He would talk about it to the point that we laughed at him for how into it he got,” Reilley said.

The combination of teaching and art was the perfect fit for Baran. “The saying is that when you do a job you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. Mr. Baran exemplifies this saying perfectly because he loved painting and teaching about art,” Ensor said.

Not only do students feel strongly about Baran, according to many of them it was clear how much he loved being at JC. “At the Open House whenever a new person would walk in the door to the art wing, he greeted them by saying that when he came to John Carroll it was like he died and went to heaven. He really did love this school,” Reilley said.

“Nothing will be the same,” Imbierowicz said.

Kelly Foulk is a News Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Students reflect on loss of art teacher”

1. Dan Hentschel on November 5th, 2015 9:38 pm

Unless the administration decides it’s time to show a shred of respect for the JC community of students, teachers, parents, and alumni, and be transparent and honest about this situation, they have ensured this is a wound to them that will never be forgotten

[Reply]

Sierra Ficca Reply:

John Carroll has let me down. I loved my highschool experience from the second I entered in 2009, to the second I graduated in 2013, and beyond that. I have been an active alumni to the JC community. My sister still attends the school, and my family and I love coming back and upholding traditions such as the plays, fine arts night, and the fashion show. That being said, my happiness with the school has been compromised due to the loss of Mr.Baran as the art teacher. He was my first art teacher my freshman year, and my last art teacher my senior year, sending me off with a fine arts distinction chord and diploma. Mr. Baran will always be a special man to my family. He recognizes my parents when they enter the building and can have an active conversation on the lives of my sister and I even though I graduated 3 years ago (which is more than I can say about some teachers at the school, most importantly the principle). I agree with many of the postings on here I have seen, there are too many rumors and no closure. To me it is just immature and unprofessional that the school feels they do not owe students the right to know why they got rid of such a wonderful man. The outpouring of love since he has been fired should be a clear indication of the person he truly is. From what I have heard, he has been fired unjustly, and I will stand behind my belief 100%. I am disappointed in the way John Carroll Administration has treated the situation and I am heartbroken that the Catholic values of the school are no longer being instilled in the students. If John Carroll no longer wants to instill Catholic values and beliefs, then they should become a private school. I am not saying be closed minded and punish students for having beliefs that contradict Catholicism, I am saying John Carroll is not being true to itself if it can’t even follow it’s own mission statement. “Compelling.Considerate.Uncompromising.” Think about that. While your at it, head on over to the John Carroll website, and click on the about tab, then read the line under the picture of the happy principle and president that states “The John Carroll community is a special place of teaching and learning, built on a foundation of strong principles and supportive relationships.” Again, think about that… I have always defended my school and never had an ill word to say about it, until this happened. Very sad, very confused, but most importantly, I am extremely disappointed. John Carroll has made a terrible decision and I think it is going to affect the school for a long time. I know it has affected many people already. I hope someone who is involved reads these comments and actually takes the time to consider what they have done and how many student’s and families are affected.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.6/5 (9 votes cast)
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (7 votes cast)
  2. Matthew Foulk on November 5th, 2015 9:38 pm

I have only known Mr. Baran for a few months, but me and my fellow students truly felt the loss of Mr. Baran. He was always there to guide us in our art projects and never failed to improve our day. I am thoroughly disappointed with the school’s handling of the firing of our teacher. I completely and entirely understand the school’s reasoning behind keeping the cause of Mr. Baran’s firing a secret; but because of their lack of closure, rumors continue to fly around the school with little proof and no way to disprove them. The school has simply told us that all of the rumors they have heard are “not true,” pushing the students to continue onward with their guessing game. The school hasn’t realistically addressed these rumors. They haven’t told us which ones are true, simply the ones “they heard” are not true. These rumors will continue to fly around the school, chipping away at what little dignity the school has left Mr. Baran with, until either the truth is found through unorthodox means or a “false truth” is held to be true. I strongly believe that the school needs to address this issue before it gets even more out of hand than it already has.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.9/5 (8 votes cast)
  3. Graziella Santoro on November 5th, 2015 10:08 pm

I was truly saddened to hear jc letting such an amazing teacher go. It is a loss for the school but even worse for the kids. How can I help to get him back. I was truly hoping my son could take his class. Mr Baran was my teacher many moons ago….his passion hasn’t changed! If anything…he loves jc more than any other school he has taught at. He is a good friend and always asked about my children and family. Jc needs to reconsider!!

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.9/5 (9 votes cast)
  4. Cody Copinger on November 5th, 2015 10:59 pm

#FreeMrBaran

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (8 votes cast)
  5. Allie Taylor on November 5th, 2015 11:26 pm

The firing of Mr. Baran was a disgrace. He was the best teacher I have ever had; he taught me about art and about life. Mr. Baran inspired me in ways no other person has and taking him away was one of the worst decisions JC administration could have made. He made a point each and every day to learn about every single one of his students. He knows my parents and siblings by name, the sports I play, the music I like, what I want to be when I grow up, and my close friends, along with my artistic ability. Mr. Baran knows my name and even just that is so much more than many teachers and administrators I have come across at JC. He treated all of his students like family.
    I feel as if the needs of JC students were overlooked in this decision and because of that our education has been compromised. The opportunity to gain knowledge in all aspects of life was taken from the JC students. When Mr. Baran was fired I lost an outstanding educator, mentor, and friend.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.9/5 (10 votes cast)
  6. Jenna White on November 5th, 2015 11:59 pm

I was never an artistic student and I was barely ever in the art wing but last year I told a spring break trip to the UK and Mr. Baran was one of the chaperones. Let me remind you that this trip was only 10 days, by the end of this trip Mr. Baran taught me so much and always made sure I had to smile on my face during the trip. After the trip his kindness didn’t stop, he would say hi to me in the hallway and ask me about my day and always made me laugh. This is a teacher you dont let go because finding a teacher that genuinely cares not just for his own students but for every student at the school is hard to find. As an alum, I am very disappointed in the John Carroll Administration. Im sad that future John Carroll students will not get to meet the great Mr. Baran and see his amazing artistic abilities and his passion for it. John Carroll… You have made a mistake and you should really rethink the decision.

[Reply]

Jenna White Reply:

Sorry for the typos, just very upset about this decision that John Carroll made.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.9/5 (7 votes cast)
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  7. Will Larney on November 6th, 2015 12:52 am

What a shame. He was my first art teacher at John Carroll and I’ll never forget how great of a teacher and friend he was to me all throughout high school. Truly a loss for the school.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.6/5 (10 votes cast)
  8. Bailey Martin on November 6th, 2015 11:32 am

very disappointing. he was a great man with only good intentions. I never had mr. Baran as an art teacher, but I did attend the UK Trip that he helped to chaperone. By the end of the trip, we all knew Mr. Baran so well and he knew us. Even after the trip when I would see him he would still call me out by name and ask me how I was doing and we would catch up, which is a lot more than I can say for some of the other faculty who actually taught me, or the principle. He was a person who genuinely cared about the students and put a lot of effort into shaping every student he encountered. I, along with a lot of the John Carroll Community are very upset with losing this friend. I personally believe the current and future student’s of John Carroll will have a less fulfilling experience at the school due to the loss of this teacher.

[Reply]

Bailey Martin Reply:

JC was very lucky to have him, and hopefully where ever he ends up next will not take for granted the talent and passion in this teacher.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (7 votes cast)
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  9. Annalee Gabler on November 6th, 2015 11:38 am

I am so appalled at the John Carroll administration for firing Mr. Baran. I am a JC alum that graduated class of 2015. Mr. Baran was such an inspiration to me while I was at John Carroll. He was a brilliant art teacher who had a passion for his work. Every time Mr. Baran talked about his art it made me proud to have him as a teacher. My John Carroll experience would have been incomplete without him and I can only imagine the loss that the current students are feeling. Not to mention future students that will miss out on his wisdom. Some of the most profound experiences I had at John Carroll were in Mr. Baran’s classroom or on his art trips. I am so upset that I guarantee that when I am older and have children they will not be going to John Carroll if the faculty continues to ignore the significant loss to the fine arts program. John Carroll you have made an incredibly ignorant and frankly disappointing decision.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.6/5 (5 votes cast)
  10. Caitlin Mooney on November 6th, 2015 11:32 pm

Mr. Baran never failed to encourage me in his classroom. Never did I feel like I wasn’t good enough to be there in his art class; he was inspiring and always made sure every student had immense knowledge on whatever we happened to be doing in class. His love for art was shown clearly through they way he spoke about different paintings and and artists. His art trips were my favorite thing each November and I love to look back on all the memories I made there because of Mr. Baran. I highly doubt the school will ever find another teacher that could produce such amazing work from his students. This is so upsetting and saddening to me and very obviously many other students and alumni. The fact that the school would handle such a huge decision without explaining why and not stoping the rumors is disturbing to me. Please rethink this or realize that this decision will have much bigger consequences then just losing one amazing teacher.

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (5 votes cast)

*

• Students reflect on loss of art teacher

Community

Mentoring cancer patient impacts senior’s outlook on life

Community

Senior uses his magic touch to amaze audiences

Community

Special Needs Prom continues to make an impact

Community

Teacher Spotlight: Change of plans brings new opportunities

Community

JC traditions ring true

Community

Mountains of change

Community

Don’t sugar coat this

Community

Let’s talk about the birds and the bees

Community

Christina’s Healthy Crusade: Shrink your workout not your results

Community

Shining a light on Autism

Students reflect on loss of art teacher