• June 1Kishan Patel and Katie Sullivan announced as the Black and Gold Award winners

• May 25Tim Perry announced as the Educator of the Year

• May 25President Richard O'Hara will be the interim principal for 2016-2017 school year

SAC brings responsibilty and school spirit

Advertisement - SNO Ad Network

During my four years at JC, I’ve been freshman class vice president, SAC second VP, junior class VP, and finally, SAC president.  My time in SAC has taught me that the key to a meaningful and fulfilling experience at JC is to get involved. 

An excellent way that this can be achieved is by participating in student leadership and becoming an SAC officer.  With two class officers for each underclassman grade, three officers for the seniors, and four SAC officers , there are plenty of opportunities to hold an office. 

Although being a part of SAC means taking on more responsibilities, it is absolutely worth the time and energy that must be dedicated.

Being an officer, especially a senior officer, will allow you to develop leadership skills that you can take with you in the future. Also, being a leader for your class and your school will encourage your own school spirit and will help you to get the most out of your time as a high school student. 

I’ve found that if you are a part of organizing and planning class activities and traditions such as Variety Show, Homecoming, and Field Day, the experiences will mean more to you.  The two weeks before Variety Show, during which a group of seniors spent hours in the auditorium planning and practicing the show, was one of my favorite JC memories. 

Even though being an SAC officer might mean having a little more work, it’s completely worth it.  If you are willing to get involved, you’ll be rewarded with memories that you wouldn’t get otherwise, and appreciation for the school that will make your high school years worthwhile.

Erin Hanratty can be reached for comment at [email protected].