Photo Courtesy John Waugh

Sophomore varsity shortstop Meghan Sheehan fields a ground ball and prepares to throw to first base. The softball team finished the season with a record of 5-13.

Softball

The varsity softball team concluded their season with a 5-13 record. “We did not win as many games as we would have liked and some of that had to do with key injuries,” head coach Sherry Hudson said.

According to freshman third baseman Sarah Spaeth, having a new head coach helped the team. Originally, Hudson had stopped coaching back in 2011 in order to focus on other parts of her life, but she decided to return to teaching others the game again this year.

According to junior centerfielder Gabby Centi, this year the team was tightly knit and united. “I feel like we were all friends [this year]. We did bowling together and we were always laughing on the sides,” Centi said. Hudson also acknowledged how proud she was of the team’s chemistry which helped them stay strong even after tough losses.

According to Spaeth, the most memorable moment this year was defeating Archbishop Spalding, the number two ranked team in the state, in a double header. JC had lost the first game but won the second. “Everything came together and the team realized the potential that they have when they play hard mentally and physically,” Hudson said.

Centi believes that the team’s overall talent level has improved throughout the season. According to Hudson, the team has already mapped out a plan for pre-season that includes conditioning and skill improvement.

“We want to continue to build the softball program and to be consistently competitive year to year,” Hudson said.

Caroline Cooney is an In-Focus Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

The Patriot • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in