Caroline Cooney

Racing down the field on a fast break, junior striker Marisa DiFonso drives towards the goal against Notre Dame Preparatory School on Oct. 4. The varsity women’s soccer team finished 3-11 overall, but made it to the semifinals during playoffs, losing to Archbishop Spalding, 2-0 on Nov. 3.

Women’s Soccer

The varsity women’s soccer team finished with an overall record of 3-11. In the playoffs, the team beat Mercy in quarterfinals then lost to Spalding in the semi-finals 2-0.

Even though the team did not have a winning record, there were still positives to the season. “We didn’t do as well as I would have liked, but it was still a good group of players, and I loved the team,” senior center back Gabby Centi said.

Other teammates agreed that the season had positives regardless of their record. “Last year, we were playing really hard teams in the A conference and [we] couldn’t seem to hang with them. This year, we were finding ways to put the ball in the back of the net and hang with them,” sophomore left forward striker Erin Scannell said.

Although they had a tough season, the team bonded both on and off the field. “As a group we became closer, especially towards the end of the season,” Centi said.

The first playoff game against Mercy was one of the high points of the season. Both Centi and Scannell agreed that their 1-0 victory was the highlight of their year. “Beating Mercy was one of the most exciting wins we had because all of our hard work in practice and throughout the season finally payed off. Beating a team in double-overtime is such a great feeling as a team,” Scannell said.  

Overall, the team did improve during the season. “[The team was] stronger, had more possession of the ball during games, didn’t let in as many goals, and meshed better together on the field.” Howe said.

“Our team went through a few challenges this season, and we really came together as a whole to support one another. From spending time on and off the fields, to dancing in the locker room, it brought everyone closer together,” junior defender Callie Courtalis said.

Adriana Guidi is a Perspectives Editor for the Patriot and jcpatriot.com.

The Patriot • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in