Chang (Leo) Yuang

Emily Stancliff, Sports Editor

Life in a different country is completely new to sophomore Chang (Leo) Yuang, an international student from China who lives in St. Joseph’s Hall. According to Yuang, life in the dorms is much more relaxing than one would think, providing students with the opportunity to become more independent and more integrated into the community.

This is Yuang’s first time in America, an exciting new change in comparison to his homework-packed life back in China. According to Yuang, Chinese students spend most of their day in school, and any free-time they have is spent doing homework. “After each class, we have ten minutes for break, but we are usually always doing our homework because there is a lot of homework. On the weekends or [during] vacations, we usually take extra classes,” he said.

According to Yuang, living in America is much different and more relaxing than it is in China, which is the main reason why he wanted to live in the dorms rather than with a host family. “I can sleep late and I can walk to school. I think we are more flexible than other [international] students. Some kids in host families have to stay in school because host families will be late [to pick them up], but we can just walk back to the dorms,” he said.

It is for these reasons that Yuang enjoys the time that he spends not only in the dorms, but also in America. The best part, he said, is being able to wake up late and have the free time to explore his hobbies as a member of the Mock Trial and equestrian teams. “It is actually a lot better over here because I have the time to do my favorite things, hobbies, or other [interests],” he said.

While his daily life is different than it was in China, Yuang expressed great happiness in being able to grow as a person in a completely new environment. “I think America is even better [than China] because if other people arrange your work and your job, then you won’t know how to arrange your life when you are an adult. After you graduate John Carroll, you will know how to be an adult, which is really important.”

Emily Stancliff is a Sports Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.