Visitors to the Newseum in Washington, D.C. placed stickers to indicate whether or not they supported athletes kneeling during the national anthem. This polarizing conflict of kneeling before football games has created a divide between people with different perspectives.

James Keller

James Keller

Patriot Debate: Taking a knee

November 15, 2017

Peaceful protest raises awareness for racial injustices

Football players and coaches alike took a knee. Peacefully, they closed their mouths, never uttering a word, and simultaneously they opened a worldwide conversation where everyone has something to say. With one action, one peaceful demonstration, they sparked a national debate.

In recent years, as protests have grown in numbers, so has criticism. For example, during the Baltimore riots, I constantly heard people conveying their disgust for the racial equality movement when they said, “There are other ways to protest than this.” I had believed this statement was in reference to the small group of extremists, who did not represent the cause as a whole, using violence in the streets of Baltimore. Those who critiqued the riots seemed to be advocating for peaceful protests, which was something I had admired.

However, when the Baltimore Ravens took a knee during the national anthem on Sept. 24, I heard the same thing. Within the first quarter of the game, people angrily repeated: “There are other ways to protest than this.” I couldn’t understand. How could there still be national uproar about protests against racial injustice when these players calmly took a knee without saying a word? How much more peaceful could it get?

And then I found my answer: it makes no difference. No matter how peaceful the protest is, criticism remains. No matter how people of color try to advocate for themselves, to address the issues at hand, or to spread their thoughts, people will continue to disapprove.

So my question to those who disagree with kneeling as a protest is this: is it truly the form of protest that bothers you, or is it the message of racial injustice these men are trying to convey?

We all must recognize that protesting is a crucial and important right for all Americans. It is written in the First Amendment that every citizen is guaranteed the right to petition and the ability to express their beliefs. Teams are utilizing their American right to stand up, or rather take a knee, for what they believe in.

Even after copious amounts of publicity and media coverage, fans are focusing on how the players protested instead of why they protested. There is a gaping absence of understanding, and as a result people begin assuming. There are claims that the kneeling is an anti-American movement, a protest against the military, or an insult to our country. In reality, these recent protests, such as the one by the Baltimore Ravens, are against the comments made by President Donald Trump.

In a video posted by RealClearPolitics, an online political news source, Trump spoke out against kneeling at a rally in Huntsville, Alabama. “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now! Out! He’s fired!’” Trump said.

These comments are the inspiration behind their most recent movement, not a hatred for the country.

For example, in 1955, Rosa Parks refused to stand from her seat and move to the back of the bus. She was not protesting public transportation systems. Parks was raising awareness for African American rights. Similarly, NFL players are not protesting the military, the national anthem, or the flag. They are bringing attention to the racial issues that still exist today.

In addition, the NFL has gone above and beyond to prove its respect to the military and the troops who risk their lives for our country. Every year, all 32 teams participate in the Salute to Service Campaign. Locally, the Baltimore Ravens support the military through Seats for Service and The Wounded Warrior Project, but they have done far more than just this.

Head coach John Harbaugh helped Joey Odoms, a member of the military, audition to sing the national anthem. According to an article from The Baltimore Sun, Odoms had asked Harbaugh for the opportunity to audition when the coach was visiting an Afghanistan military base in 2013.

As stated in an article from Fox News, Odoms, now a veteran, resigned from his position of singing the national anthem after three years. He did this due to NFL fans’ unaccepting reactions to taking a knee. Odoms wrote, “The tone/actions of a large number of NFL fans in the midst of our country’s cultural crisis have convinced me that I do not belong there. Someone once told me to always ‘go where you’re welcomed.’”

These men were gifted with a large population of viewers and have raised awareness for an issue that affects not only themselves, but their children, families, friends, teammates, and all people of color. Sometimes it is easy to forget the hardship these people endure when we ourselves are not facing it. It can be difficult to grasp why someone would kneel if we are not in their shoes.

This is why kneeling is and will continue to be a positive form of protest. The players and coaches are taking the initiative to recognize a national problem. They are not disrespecting their country, those who serve it, or those who have died to protect it. They are advocating for racial equality and rejecting any people, including their President, who tell them they cannot do so.

So I’ll ask my question one more time: is it truly the form of protest that bothers you, or is it the message of racial injustice these men are trying to convey?

Alyssa Kraus is the co-Editor in Chief of The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.