HAU’S IT GOIN’?: Need the Delay

Alex Hau, Media Chief

Seniors are the only students in the school who share the distant memory of sleeping in on D-Days. Every student couldn’t wait for D-day because, as any student can agree, an extra 30 minutes of sleep feels like an extra three hours.

Students would have their separate D-day alarm, just waiting every eight days to use it. It really was a magical time.

During our sophomore year, they changed it to an early dismissal instead of a delayed start. This worked out better for teachers and students with no after school activities, but for students with extracurricular activities and sports, this posed a big problem.  Music classes are even held for longer periods of time from 2:20-3:40.

On D-days, students are now waiting for 45 minutes to an hour for their sports to start.

For athletes, a late start to school would be better for performance. Extra sleep can do a lot of beneficial things to a body in terms of rest or healing. Students could potentially perform better in their sports in addition to getting more sleep, which they desperately need after long days of school.

The early dismissal doesn’t just affect student athletes; it also affects any student with an after-school extra curricular activity.

Most of the clubs at JC are run by teachers. Since the teachers are at the faculty meeting, it is impossible to start the club or other after school activity earlier.

This then leads to the same problem of kids stuck at school for an hour with nothing to do.

You may say that students waiting for an hour could do homework, but not every student has something that can be done in the cafeteria because the Learning Commons sometimes is closed due to the faculty meeting.

The Learning Commons is a great place to get work done, but this means nothing when students are prohibited from entering.

A delay would be something every student could get behind, granted they have transportation 30 minutes later in the morning.
.