Athlete Profiles

Kiana Miller & Emma Ingrassia

Malik Scott, Sports Editor

Senior Miller shines in John Carroll women’s soccer

Senior Kiana Miller is team captain on the varsity women’s soccer team who has a long history of success in her 14 years of experience. She started on varsity her freshman year at John Carroll and has been a very consistent player for the women’s soccer team.

Outside of John Carroll, she plays for Premier Soccer Club. Kiana is a five-time State Champion, two-time National League Champion, and one-time National Champion.

“My favorite memory from my soccer career was winning Nationals with my club team and being able to say we are the best team in the country,” Kiana said.

“My biggest challenge was tearing my ACL sophomore year and not being able to play for eight months, but then I started playing just three months before our first appearance at Nationals.  Only having three months to prepare for the highest level of youth soccer was a challenge, but I worked really hard and pushed myself and ended up starting our first game and playing close to the entire game,” Kiana said.

Kiana and the John Carroll varsity women’s soccer team have already gotten off to a great start to their season.

“We definitely have more skill this year than we’ve had in my four years at JC, and we have been using that to our advantage. . .The season is looking really good for this team and I think we all have very high expectations,” Kiana said.

Ingrassia’s gymnastic involvement spans 15 years

Senior Emma Ingrassia is a highly-rated Level 10 gymnast, which is the highest level for a Junior Olympic athlete.

Emma has been involved with gymnastics for over 15 years and has qualified for States, Regionals, and Nationals. She trains at the elite First State Gymnastics facility in Newark, Delaware.

In 2018 Emma committed to Southern Utah University where she has earned a full scholarship. “An amazing memory I had was visiting my college and just knowing that was my place. Committing to my absolute dream school was such an incredible feeling,” Emma said.

“Qualifying for Nationals was definitely my favorite memory; it was the most amazing feeling in the world to accomplish something I’ve been working for my whole life,” Emma said.

Over the summer, Emma underwent surgery from an overuse injury. She suffered from a stress fracture in her navicular bone.

“A challenging moment for me was having to get surgery, but  I know I’ll have to work twice as hard to get back, but we’re ready to get back better than ever,” she said.

Emma is currently making a very rapid and impressive recovery. When fully recovered, she looks to come back and work hard to be able to produce better than she ever has.   Make sure to follow Emma’s journey to the big stage.