Homecoming Week ‘19 promotes involvement

SGA blends new activities with traditional ones during week

Alex Hau, Media Chief

This year’s Homecoming celebration brought many changes to Spirit Week and to the dance itself. The changes to Spirit Week included a new art competition and an academic Quiz Bowl contest between the four classes and the faculty, in addition to some new theme days.

One of the new theme days was Character Day when students could dress as their favorite meme or TV/movie character.

“The new contests were added  to Spirit Week in order to include the non-athletic JC community,” SGA Moderator Mrs. Meghan Doyle said. “The art contest was to include the artists of JC, and the Quiz Bowl was aimed to include the academic achievers,” Mrs. Doyle said.

The pep rally at the end of the week included many competitions between the classes such as a Knock-Out game of basketball, a Slam Dunk contest, and a Tug-of-War contest.

“The pep rally had cool aspects, but it was lacking in energy. I also think that there were way too many MCs,” senior Grant McIver said.

The Homecoming football game against Loyola had a final score of 20-48. Despite the loss, the student section was filled and really showed support for their team. The band also had an exceptional performance.

The Homecoming Dance’s theme was “Starry Night.” This theme was voted on by the students. The gym was full up until around 9:00 when many people left.

“I liked the dance; the music was good, and I liked the fact they had water available,” senior Katelyn Patrick said.

A decision was made not to sell tickets at the door for the dance, and it was announced beforehand every day of Spirit Week.

“It was just too hectic selling tickets at the door last year,” Mrs. Doyle said. “I think people are upset because they were so used to buying tickets at the door that they weren’t expecting this change.”

Overall, the changes made to Homecoming Week were an attempt to get more non-athlete students’ involved.

“There is room for improvement, and I think the SGA will listen to the complaints and work on them,” said Mrs. Doyle.