• Quarter 1 will end on Oct. 31.

• The annual Thanksgiving Food Drive will end on Friday, Nov. 2.

• Monday, Oct. 29 is a D-Day early dismissal.

‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower’ accurately portrays feelings of youthfulness

www.imdb.com

Emily Clarke, Print Chief

The perks of seeing “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” are infinite.

Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen Chbosky, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is a coming-of-age tale of teenagers trying to make it through high school and the friends that help them. Logan Lerman plays Charlie, a freshman struggling with a mental illness brought on by a secret from his past and the death of his best friend. As Charlie searches for that something to make him feel infinite, he learns that life can take unexpected turns. Although Lerman is actually 20 years old, he accurately depicts a 15-year-old trying to make it through his first year of high school. Lerman makes Charlie relatable on the first day of high school by trying to disguise that he is a freshmen when he walks in and sits by himself at lunch when he can’t find anywhere else to go.

The cast includes some well-known names, including Emma Watson from Harry Potter, Kate Walsh from Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice, Nina Dobrev from the Vampire Diaries, and Paul Rudd from Role Models and Anchorman. It also features some bright newcomers, including Ezra Miller, Mae Whitman, Johnny Simmons, and Erin Wilhelmi.

The acting is phenomenal. Lerman shines in his star role, and Miller’s performance easily gives him the opportunity to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor. The struggles Miller’s character, Patrick, faces as a gay teenager add to Charlie’s character development while not taking away from it. All the actors capture the sensitive nature of the film. Plus, it was nice hearing Watson sport an American accent for a change.

The film is also accompanied by a fantastic soundtrack. Compiled by Michael Brook and ranging from artists like David Bowie to The Smiths to Sonic Youth, the music goes with the indie feel of the film. The soundtrack is important because music plays a prominent role in the plot. Also, the songs the characters listen to are actually on the soundtrack, making it seem as if they handpicked the songs.

Chbosky, also serving as director of the film, seems well-experienced despite that fact that this is his debut. Besides a few minor details, Chbosky is able to convey the full emotion and story expressed in the novel. Andrew Dunn’s cinematography follows the mood of the rest of the film, capturing the essence of the late ‘80s, early ‘90s setting of the storyline.

While “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is not playing in all theaters, it is more than worth the extra 20-minute drive to White Marsh to see it.

Emily Clarke is the Print Chief for The Patriot and www.jcpatriot.com. 

'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' accurately portrays feelings of youthfulness, 10.0 out of 10 based on 2 ratings