Review: “Breaking Bad?” More like Binging Bad

Alex Hau, Media Editor

In 2008, people saw the first episode of a truly magnificent artwork of a show called “Breaking Bad.” The show is about Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with lung cancer and decides to take part in the criminal activity of producing and selling crystal meth.
     The entire show takes place over the span of two years although it lasted on television for five. The show has one several awards, including the three consecutive Emmys won by lead actor Bryan Cranston for his portrayal of Walter Hartwell White.
     The show puts you through a roller coaster of emotions during each episode. Every episode is like its own drama. Every time you finish one, you find yourself clicking the “next episode” button on Netflix.
     The major component of this masterpiece is the writing. The dialogue puts you in the scene, instead of just being a simple spectator.
     Several expert monologues are delivered by the actors, especially in the tenth episode of the third season, “Fly.” This episode is truly one of the best of the entire series. A simple plot of trying to kill a fly that has entered the lab because it is a “contamination” reveals the dark truth behind the characters, such as Walter describing the perfect point in his life where he would have wished his own death, and Jesse thinking Walter’s cancer spread to his brain and telling the story of his aunt whose mental health deteriorated in the later stages of her cancer. The ability for an episode to take place in one setting for the entirety of it, and have major character development and acting, shows that the writing on this show is truly a magnificent piece of art.
     Another crucial part of this masterpiece is the cinematography. There are several occasions in the show where there is a simple fixed shot of a scene. This adds a sense of cinema to the show and has a truly artistic feel. The scenery in many of the shots, as well as the shots captured, combine into a beautiful end product.
     This show has been over for several years, but with the Coronavirus locking us in our houses, it is the perfect show to binge-watch.
     The acting, plot, cinematography, writing, and overall quality of the show are outstanding.
     This show is not for light audiences and has explicit content, so keep that in mind if children are nearby or if you have a weak stomach.