Macy’s brings back the tradition of the Thanksgiving Day parade

Ella McGuire, Sports Editor

Thanksgiving is full of tons of traditions. One of which is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

With COVID, Macy’s wasn’t able to host a live audience in 2020. This not only devastated New York City but all of America as many people love attending. The views last year dipped to their lowaest; only 19 million people watched. However, this year, 26 million people watched the parade from home, and about 4.5 million lined the streets.
Macy’s put on a terrific show this year. Broadway was deeply impacted by COVID, so Macy’s tried to feature many Broadway performances. The parade included Six, Moulin Rouge!, Wicked, and Annie Live.
Performers Sara Bareilles, Rene Elise Goldsberry, and the cast of Girls5Eva presented “Famous5Eva.”
The famous Radio City Rockettes danced their way to Macy’s, bringing joy to Americans all over the world!
Other performances included Carrie Underwood, Jimmie Allen, Andy Grammer, Chris Lane, Jordan Fisher, Kristin Chenoweth, and Nelly.
High school marching bands and dance programs marched through the streets, too.
Per usual, Macy’s had their famous floats and balloons. There were about 28 floats and 15 giant character balloons.
Although Macy’s kept their normal balloons such as Snoopy, Ronald McDonald, and “Believe” Stars, they added new ones this year. Macy’s introduced Grogu, (Baby Yoda), Toni, the Bandleader Bear, and Pikachu & Eevee.