The Great Debate: Real or Artificial Trees?

Ella Campbell, Staff Writer

Many families have switched from the classic, real, pine tree to an artificial tree to keep in their homes for the holiday season.

There are many positive aspects for both trees. For example, real trees offer a natural scent and a classic tradition that creates family fun for all. Real trees also help support small, family-owned farms. Other people argue that fake trees are reusable, customizable, and less of a mess.

While fake trees may be easy to just pull out of the attic every year, there is a downside.

According to USA Today, Americans buy 10 million artificial trees each year. Fake trees are usually made from metal and plastic and primarily ship from China. Not only is there an increase in carbon emissions to ship across the globe, but artificial trees are not biodegradable.

English teacher Lisa Schultz said that she prefers artificial trees because “they are easier to take care of.”

Also, a fan of artificial trees, sophomore Alayna McCubbin said she likes “artificial, because they don’t burn your house down.”

German teacher Mark Canter commented, “I would rather have a real tree because I like the idea of going and picking it out and making a whole day out of it, and it’s more of a tradition to do that instead of shoving an artificial tree back in the closet at the end of the year.”