• :

‘Atypical’ debunks autism stereotypes

Now Streaming

‘Atypical’ is a TV series that follows Sam Gardner, a 19-year-old boy on the autism spectrum who is struggling to fit in.

The Netflix series also includes Sam’s sister Casey, his parents Elsa and Doug, his girlfriend Paige, and best friend Zahid.

While there is no particular “realistic” way to portray autism in a TV show, considering that everyone on the spectrum is different, the show does an amazing job showing the hardships of children who have autism.

Some of these struggles include social interactions, making friends, understanding the feelings of others, and over-stimulation.

However, there are also autism stereotypes that the show debunks. These stereotypes include being overly aggressive, not being smart, and not having much emotion to express. The show also does a good job portraying Sam’s personality to debunk these stereotypes. Sam’s personality in the show is very calm, collected, extremely intelligent, and sensitive.

Aside from Sam’s perspective of society as an autistic person, the show follows his sister Casey’s LGBTQ+ storyline and her parent’s perspective on her relationship with another girl.

It also shows Elsa and Doug’s storyline as they struggle to keep their marriage alive as well as the character development of Sam’s love interest Paige and Sam’s best friend Zahid.

For those who are struggling with relationship issues, feeling out of place in society, and/or struggling to come to terms with identity, this show perfectly portrays these hardships in a way that can help others find comfort in their struggles.

Atypical is a four-season series that can be found on Netflix as well as Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Disney +, and ESPN. The first season aired on August 11, 2017, and the most recent season aired on last summer. Netflix and the actors on the show have announced that the fourth season is going to be the final season.