• :

Vocal and band groups bring music to the stage

JC music groups host annual spring concert on Friday, April 21
Every year, the John Carroll School hosts a spring concert. The show takes place before seniors leave when the music groups of JC, such as chorus and rock band, get to perform.
The spring concert was led by Band Director Casey Novak, Director of Performing Arts Julie Parrish, and Rock Band Director Gregory Russell.
With help from some of the staff members, students prepare up until April, when they have the opportunity to share the music they have been learning.
This year’s spring concert was held on Friday, April 21. The concert began at 6:30 pm and ended at 9:15 pm. The performances took place in the auditorium.
The concert was free of charge, so it was a perfect opportunity for perspective Patriots wanting to join a music program to be introduced to the program.
The concert was split into two halves. The first half began with chorus, orchestra, and band.
After the intermission, the Patriettes performed, followed by the Jazz Band, Bella Voce, and The Rock Band.
Mrs. Parrish commented, “Each class presents the culmination of their work from second semester. It is a major grade in each class, but more than the grade, it allows students to perform the music they have been practicing. Music as a shared experience (performer and audience member) has so much more value than keeping it to yourself.”
Each of the music programs performed approximately three songs, which added up to about 15 minutes per set. All of the musical arts classes prepared for the concert in class, and it was the biggest part of their grade.
Mrs. Parrish added, “At the beginning of the semester, we make our music selections, and class time is spent rehearsing the music. Often, students must practice on their own for homework so that class time can be spent rehearsing as a group and not learning individual parts.”
Mrs. Parrish explained that closer to the concert, they had two after-school dress rehearsal days to set the technical elements of the concert and to allow students to get accustomed to the performance space versus the classroom.