• :

Shaw Orchard has delicious & fresh fruits

Shaw Orchard is located right off Route 24 and is a bit deceiving when you pull in.
At first, it looks like a small barn that isn’t open for customers. Once you get inside though, you feel welcomed as if you’re walking into your own home.
Once you’re in the barn, they lead you to an opening where they ask you what you would like to pick. For the fall, they have apples and raspberries. For a bucket of apples, it costs $23 which is a great price for five dozen apples. At a grocery store, it regularly costs $1-$2 per pound. For raspberries, they charge per pound, and the price varies but stays around $5 a pound.
Once you grab your basket, an employee informs you that a tractor will be around soon to pick you up and take you to the fields where you can pick the fruit. They have around three to four tractors rotating constantly, so you don’t have to wait out in the field. They also provide wagons just in case you are unable to carry your baskets as the apples will get heavy towards the end.
Once you’re dropped off at the fields, the tractor driver informs you which apples you can pick, and which ones are in season and will be the sweetest. When you have picked all the apples that you can carry, a tractor will once again make its rotation and can either take you back to the farm, or you can go to the next stop and pick some sweet raspberries.
When picking raspberries, you have to be careful because the bushes have thorns on them, and they can be very sharp.
Your hands will also be very red from the juices when you’re done. Unfortunately, the farm does not provide you with gloves, cloth or latex, that will protect you from the thorns and juice stains, but they should. They should be able to provide you with gloves, cloth or latex, that will protect you from the thorns and juice stains.
After going with my family, this farm is highly recommended. You won’t get bored because you’re always doing something whether that is picking raspberries or apples.
Once you’re done and all tired, the tractor will take you up to pay for your fresh fruit. You can go home and enjoy the tasty fruit you picked or even sit out on their picnic tables and have an apple or some raspberries that you picked. Overall, the orchard is an amazing experience for all ages.