Band & chorus perform in Walt Disney World

Ella McGuire, Assistant Media Chief

This summer, the JC band and choir went to Orlando, Florida to perform at Walt Disney World.

The group went for five days, and each day consisted of a full day at one of the parks.

The ensemble agreed that the trip helped create new friendships, form bonds, and gave them an overall amazing experience.

Junior Maria Araujo said, “I made incredible memories with incredible people at an incredible place. It was definitely a trip I will never forget.”

On the first day, the group left BWI and flew to Orlando. They went straight to EPCOT, which is full of different countries, such as France, Italy, Mexico, and Japan. The students had a blast enjoying the various cultures, foods, and rides each country had to offer.
Sophomore Megan McCormick loved the new addition to EPCOT, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure.

The ride was 3D and took you through the adventure of feeling like you are Remy. “I loved the ride,” Megan said. “I just love Ratatioulle in general, but the ride was amazing.”

Other popular rides were Test Track and Soarin’ as both were thrilling attractions.

While it did pour during the day, everyone had a fun time running through the empty park together.

After a long day at EPCOT, they went back to their hotel, Disney’s All-Star Music. Maria said,

“Spending all day at the parks might’ve been a little tiring, but at the end of the day, it was all worth it.”

Then the time came for another park. The ensemble went to Magic Kingdom on Tuesday. It was a very long day, as the school was provided early access. Some students didn’t love the fact that the lines were long, but it was an overall fun day there. The day finished with a magical 50th Anniversary fireworks show above the castle. Many said that it was the highlight of the trip.
Hollywood Studios was a fan favorite across the board. Favorite rides there included Hollywood Tower of Terror, Micky and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad, Slinky Dog Dash, and Toy Story Mania.

Megan said, “My favorite ride at Disney was definitely the Rock ‘n Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith. It felt like you were a celebrity walking into the studio recording a new song.”

Megan also liked that the ride had lots of classic songs playing while waiting in line. “It was also fun being in the dark the whole time,” she added.

The ensemble really liked the two “Lands:” Toy Story Land and Star Wars: Galaxy Edge. However, the big Star Wars fans couldn’t really enjoy the fan-favorite Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance because of the three-hour wait.

Nonetheless, the crew loved every minute of Hollywood Studios.

Thursday was the peak of the trip, though, because it was the performance day. Both groups performed at the AdventHeath Waterside Stage, at Disney Springs.

As the band rehearsed and got dressed, the choir was able to shop around the many shops offered at Disney Springs. The ensemble loved The LEGO Store, the M&M Store, and DisneyStyle. After the band gave an amazing performance, the choir performed.

Later on, the group went back to Magic Kingdom for more rides and more fireworks displays.
Both ensembles won first place and received two Golden Mickey trophies to display at the school.

The final day consisted of going to Animal Kingdom, which many people loved because of Pandora–The World of Avatar. The whole area is designed to look exactly like you stepped into James Cameron’s film. You can do so much in that area like walk through the Valley of Mo’ara, or ride the two rides, Avatar Flight of Passage and Na’vi River Journey. In the 3d ride Avatar Flight of Passage, you fly on the back of a Banshee. The Na’vi River Journey is a beautiful boat ride through a bioluminescent rain forest.

This trip was a journey that the JC choir and band will never forget, as it truly was a magical experience.