• :

13 educators join the JC faculty and staff

Welcoming the new academic year with new faces throughout the halls

Mr. Patrick McGroarty
Mathematics (Geometry & Algebra 2)

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? Much closer to home and grandchildren. Important that the school was teaching and living our Catholic faith.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? Dr. Patton and I have taught together before.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? Very positive experience. A school is as good as the people in it, and JC has excellent people — both faculty and students living and learning together.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? Pretty boring guy here.
What would people find on your own playlist? Classic vinyl, some ZBB, a little jazz, Cocomelon for the grandkids

Mrs. Courtney Bradley
College Counselor (College Planning & Senior Seminar)

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? I was interested in working for The John Carroll School because of its reputation for academic excellence and the resources available to students to be successful during their high school career and beyond. Its close proximity to my house is a bonus.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? While I do not have any direct ties to John Carroll, I previously worked in college admissions, and one of the schools I recruited from was John Carroll — what a small world.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? What has blown me away so far is the sense of community among not only the students and the alumni community, but also among the faculty, staff, and administration. Everyone has been so welcoming thus far.
What would students be surprised to find out about you?
Students would be surprised to learn more about my academic background and my journey to get to where I am. Believe it or not, I started out as a Mechanical Engineering major in college, and I never expected to be working in education. I think my experience is a great example to show students that it’s okay to change your mind or not know what you want to do after high school.
What would people find on your own playlist? When I’m not rocking out to Ed Sheeran or Taylor Swift, I’m singing my heart out to Disney hits. I was fortunate to be able to attend both the Eras and Mathematics tours this year.

Ms. Shannon Olsen
English Teacher (English 1, Honors English 1, Yearbook)

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? It has always been a dream of mine to come back and teach at my Alma Mater. All the cards happened to fall into place as I was ready to move on from my previous school, and here I am.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? I graduated from JC in 2013, and my entire family are alumni. My main tie currently is one of my best friends, Mrs. Galicki, whom I went to high school with and worked with at my previous school, works here. I am so excited to be teaching with her again.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? I am absolutely loving being back. The school has gone through so many positive changes since I graduated 10 years ago. Everyone has been so welcoming, and while I have big shoes to fill, thanks to my predecessor and wonderful former English teacher Mrs. Zurkowski, I am so ready for the challenge.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? I love going to concerts and live theater performances. I attend probably seven to ten concerts and Broadway shows a year.
What would people find on your own playlist? A weird mix of music: OG One Direction, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran, Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson, Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, some Jesus Jams, Broadway Tunes, and ‘90s/’00s country music

Mr. Camren Exter
Social Studies Department

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? I remember how strong the community was when I was a student and want to create that for future students.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? I’m a 2016 grad and had two siblings graduate from JC in 2012 and 2020.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? It’s been an interesting experience turning teachers from the past into current coworkers.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? I think my students would be surprised to know that I’m an avid camper and go on solo backpacking trips.
What would people find on your own playlist? A lot of ‘90s and 2000s alternative

Mr. Brian Stahl
Religion (Catholic Social Teaching & The Seven Sacraments)

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? I came to John Carroll because I was impressed with how friendly and kind everyone was when I first visited.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? No ties to JC before I came here.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? My experience thus far has been great; everyone has been terrifically welcoming, helpful, and professional.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? I have eaten breakfast every single day of my life.
What would people find on your own playlist? My playlist is filled with classic rock and country music.

Ms. Katie Smith
Religion/Campus Ministry (Sophomore Religion, Human Rights)

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? I came to JC because I loved the school community and connection to the Catholic faith.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? I graduated in ‘19; my dad graduated in ‘90, and my mom is Nurse Karen.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? Everyone has been very welcoming and supportive!
What would students be surprised to find out about you? I know how to build a roof.
What would people find on your own playlist? Some of my favorite artists include Chris Renzema, Jervis Campbell, and Dan and Shay.
Ms. Christina Zuniga
School Counselor

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? I have always liked working in schools and wanted to get back to this environment.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? No
What have you thought about your experience thus far? Everyone has been so nice and welcoming.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? I am a huge college football fan. I went to the University of Florida. Go Gators!
What would people find on your own playlist? I know people say they listen to everything, but I really do. I listen to a lot of Spanish music (I am Cuban), country, hip hop.

Ms. Megan Piercy
Social Studies & Religion

Why did you want to come to
John Carroll? I loved attending JC as a student and always thought I would find my way back. I worked as a long-term substitute while finishing my master’s in psychology and realized teaching was the path I wanted to take. When I saw there was a psychology position open at JC, I knew it was the perfect opportunity for me to come back. AP Psychology with Dr. Lazor was my introduction to the field. It’s an honor to follow in his footsteps, and I hope I can encourage and impact students in the same way.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? I am a 2016 grad. My sister, Lauren, graduated in 2019, and my dad, Phil, graduated in 1990. My dad was also a social studies teacher and Dean of Students here for several years. My grandmother, Kathy MacBlane, graduated in 1970 as part of JC’s third graduating class.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? It’s incredible returning to JC as a teacher. The community was so welcoming when I was a student, and the same has been true of my experience over the last few weeks. Being in a workplace surrounded by people who care about me and genuinely want to help is something I will never take for granted.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? In 2018 I traveled to South Africa as part of a short-term study abroad trip with my college. I love trying new foods, and while I was there I tried alligator, springbok, kudu, and fried caterpillars.
What would people find on your own playlist? My music taste is kind of all over the place and I have a bad habit of replaying a song or album over and over again until I don’t want to listen to it anymore. I definitely go through phases, but I always go back to Queen, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, CHVRCHES, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, and Ghost.

Mr. Bart O’Reilly
Fine Arts Department

Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? My late father-in-law Frank Kelly was the first art teacher here and designed the junior ring, and my son Eoin O’Reilly is in his junior year here.
What have your thought about your experience thus far? Everyone has been very friendly and welcoming. I love the art rooms, and the students are really great.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? I recently published a book called My Father’s Work Shed. It is a collection of my paintings and poetry
What would people find on your own playlist? The Beatles song “In My Life.”

Ms. Rachel DeWeese
Advancement Office

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? I’m a proud alumna from the Class of 2010 who will do whatever I can to promote and support the unique and special that is JC.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? Yes. I’m a 2010 alum; my sisters are alums from the classes of 2013 and 2014, and my dad is an alum from the Class of 1981.
What have you thought about your experience thus far? There’s a lot to learn, but I’m happy to be back and ready to reimmerse myself in the wonderful world of JC.
What would students be surprised to find out about you? Along with being a proud JC alum, I’m also a very proud Towson University alum. Go Tigers!
What would people find on your own playlist? So many things – what I’ve been listening to on my long drives to and from campus (I live in Towson) is Conan O’Brien’s podcast. He’s one of my favorites.

Mr. Gunnar Waldt
Assistant Dean of Students & Boys Lacrosse Head Coach

Why did you want to come to John Carroll? I came here for the opportunity to lead a great group of young men in the lacrosse program and to deliver excellence in the classroom, community and on the field. Hearing such positive things about the John Carroll community was a strong point for me as well, to have a role within the building.
Did you have any ties to JC before coming here? I did not have any ties to JC prior to this. The only connection I had was that Seth Goldberg, the Athletic Director, was the basketball coach at St. Paul’s High School during my time there.

What have you thought about your experience thus far?
My experience here thus far has been very positive. The kids have been great in the building, and faculty/staff have been very welcoming.
Students outside of the lacrosse team may be surprised to hear I played professional lacrosse for five years after graduation, stopped after 2020 season.
What would people find on your own playlist? Zac Brown Band