• :

JC alum Giovanna Ward wins Miss Bel Air contest

Giovanna Ward, class of 2021 and current Boston Conservatory dancer, was selected as “Miss Bel Air Independence Day 2023,” also known as “Miss Bel Air.”
“Being selected for Miss Bel Air is a month-long process,” explained Giovanna.
Women interested in Miss Bel Air can submit their application and, after about a month-long interview process, will find out if they were selected, which Giovanna did.
Giovanna has been competing in pageants for the last few years and was looking for what was next for her when she saw a post online that they were looking for their 2023 titleholder.
In regard to what inspired her to run for Miss Bel Air, Giovanna said, “I love my hometown and knew it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pour into the community that has given so much to me while also getting to represent Bel Air at the state competition.”
Giovanna’s service initiative is “Arts All Across” for being an advocate for arts education and creating ways to combine her passion for dance, giving back, and utilizing her platform to make a difference.
Giovanna said, “I wanted to make sure that when I met people, they felt they were meeting the real and most authentic version of myself — almost as if they had been a friend of mine for years.”
Giovanna explained that her favorite part about being Miss Bel Air is that it is an experience she will remember for the rest of her life. From leading the Fourth of July Parade and speaking at Town Hall and County Council meetings to visiting schools and organizations within the area, she has loved every second.
Competing at Miss Maryland was “a dream come true and making the top 11 while representing my hometown was a moment I will never forget. I am so grateful I have been given this opportunity and for all who helped me make it happen and supported me throughout the year,” said Giovanna.
Giovanna also explained that her experiences in pageantry and as Miss Bel Air has made her a stronger, smarter, and more confident young woman that will help her succeed in any venture she pursues.