• :

Henry Coyner prepares to perform in his final fall musical

‘The Sound of Music’ and ‘Guys and Dolls’ will mark Henry’s final JC performances
Senior Henry Coyner is preparing to perform in his final fall musical with ‘The Sound of Music.’ Henry first started doing theatre productions at 12-years-old.
Beginning at Hereford High School that summer, he explained, “I was drawn to theatre because of my ability and desire to project myself for others and my love for getting into a character’s mind in order to effectively portray them for an audience.”
Preparing for The Sound of Music as Captain Georg von Trapp, he said, “My specific process for memorization and preparation for roles such as this is to find time throughout the day to practice on my own in an isolated space, usually at 2 a.m. for me.”
Henry has had many experiences over the past four years at JC in theatre productions, with his first musical being with COVID-19 restrictions for the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
Each character has had a separate journey, and after each musical ends, I have met more extraordinary people and learned a lot more than before,” he commented.
Outside of the theatre, Henry is a big movie buff and enjoys hiking, playing video games, and driving and getting together with friends.
Although this is Henry’s last year, it’s just beginning.
“I have had a pretty great start to my senior year at JC. It’s exciting being in the oldest grade and having great responsibilities and opportunities.”
He added, “At the moment, I am excited to perform my final fall musical; however, it is also a reminder of the spring being my John Carroll theater finale. This being the last though, that gives me the motivation to be even better than before, which I am fairly confident will be the case.”
Henry plans to study theatre production further in college but to also study more than just musical theatre, like “acting for the stage and screen, directing for the stage and screen, playwriting, screenwriting, voice acting, and other forms of the creative process.”
The Sound of Music will be performed for the public on November 10 – November 12.