• :

Faculty & staff have their own traditions

Whether it is the Elf on the Shelf, matching pajamas, or an annual family Christmas breakfast, Patriots all have their traditions.
Often times when students think of faculty, they do not think of people with lives and families outside of the school building; however, they all still do have special holiday traditions.
College Counselor Kelly Smith likes to kick off the Smith family celebration by going out and cutting down a Christmas tree. Mrs. Smith did this with her family as a child, so doing it with her children holds a special place in her heart.
Physics Teacher Anthony Davidson has a new baby this year and looks forward to starting some new traditions with his wife and son. “We will be decorating the tree and opening presents with cousins on Christmas Day.”
Dr. Davidson added that his son got to come to JC’s Festival of Lights and got his first picture with Santa.
English Teacher Matthew Blair said that many of his traditions are with his wife and dog. He likes to take it easy on Christmas Day and take a nice walk with his family. He believes traditions “are amazing but need to be kept in perspective because what makes them worthwhile are the people and the relationships.”
Traditions change when individuals marry another person.
Mrs. Smith likes to rotate who sees who on Christmas Day from year-to year while Mr. Blair likes to do Christmas Eve with his family and Christmas dinner with his wife’s family.
Mrs. Smith said the biggest thing she had to learn was that “traditions change when families change.”
Dean of Student Services Larry Hensley also has his special traditions. Yearly, his sisters, brothers and their wives and kids, cousins, aunts, and any other close family all gather and go to his parent’s house for Christmas morning.
They have a big breakfast featuring a Secret Santa exchange. “Every present, whether you have seen it already or not, is perfectly wrapped under the tree until Christmas Day.”
Mr. Hensley added, “Traditions are the root of your happy memories.”