• :

Students share international customs

Christmas is an extraordinary holiday in many parts of the world.
Many students at John Carroll have different traditions for this holiday as they celebrate with their families.
Vlad Oleynyk transferred from Ukraine last year. He described the Christmas traditions as “rich and diverse” and explained that they follow two calendars to celebrate holidays, Orthodox and Catholic.
  Traditions in Ukraine are more about family feasts, caroling, and nativity performances. They celebrate Christmas on January 7 because they believe Jesus was born after the new year, following the Julian calendar.
The festivities often start with “Sviatyi Vechir,” or Holy Evening, a family feast with 12 meatless dishes symbolizing the 12 Apostles.
One of the dishes is “kutia,” a sweet grain pudding. Caroling, or “koliadky,” is a big part of the tradition where people go from house-to-house singing festive songs. A highlight is the “Vertep” performance, a puppet show depicting the nativity scene.
Due to their celebrating in January, they have more traditions later, such as “Jordan” or “Epiphany Day,” which is celebrated on January 19 in Ukraine.
  Regardless of the freezing temperatures, people dive into ice-cold water three times to symbolize the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River. It’s believed this cleanses their sins and brings health for the upcoming year. It’s a time for family, faith, and remembering ancestors.
  Hoon Woo describes Christmas as something he and his family love celebrating because they go out, eat dinner, and spend quality time with family.
Hoon said, “There is less focus on gift-giving than what is traditionally expected throughout the West.” There is much more behind the holiday. Christmas is known as “Seongtanjeol,” a blend of Western and Korean traditions.
It’s a public holiday, so people have the day off to spend with family or attend church services. Many Koreans decorate their homes with Christmas lights, ornaments, and even Christmas trees.
Santa Claus is known as “Santa Haraboji,” or Grandfather Santa, and is a popular figure. For many, the day wouldn’t be complete without a Christmas cake, which is often a beautifully decorated sponge cake. Churches hold special services and nativity plays. Cities are lit with festive lights and decorations.
It is a time of joy, peace, and love. Despite the cold weather, the warmth of the Christmas spirit can be felt everywhere in Korea during this season.
Senior Nina Njoroge is Kenyan. She follows and respects her family’s traditions, especially during Christmas time. Christmas in Kenya, known as “Krismasi,” is a time of family, faith, and festivities.
It is a public holiday and many people return to their rural homes to celebrate with extended family. The day often starts with church services and singing traditional Christmas carols in Swahili.
Many families have a special meal together, which might include “nyama choma,” known as roasted meat, “pilau” or spiced rice, and “chapati” or flatbread.
Gift giving is not as common as in Western cultures, but it is growing in popularity, especially in urban areas. In some regions, people participate in parades, music, and street dance, adding a unique Kenyan flair to the holiday. Traditional African drums and attire are often featured in these celebrations.
Despite the lack of snow and cold weather, the spirit of Christmas is very much alive and vibrant in Kenya.
She said, “We don’t open gifts until everyone is up and has eaten. This is how children show respect and appreciation for everything they’re given. We also have big feasts similar to Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Kenya, so we have a Thanksgiving and Christmas in one day. We also don’t call Santa ‘Santa Claus;’ we call him Father Christmas.”
  There are many different ways people celebrate Christmas traditionally, but at the same time, there are many similarities. Other traditions enrich our world, showcasing diverse cultures and perspectives. It fosters understanding, respect, and unity among people while allowing us to learn and grow from each other’s experiences.