• :

Dancers attend regional festival in Norfolk, Virginia

To kick off March, College Preparatory dancers attended the Regional High School Dance Festival in Norfolk, Virginia. Throughout the four days, the dancers took master classes with various college and conservatory instructors.
Freshman Aaliyah Angel said, “It’s important to be taught by others so that they can give us corrections that we don’t always hear all the time from our current teachers.”
Aaliyah’s favorite class was a ballet class with the director of the Joffrey Ballet School in Texas.
The classes also gave the chance to experience unique dance styles such as Afro-Contemporary, Caribbean, Swing, Afro-Beats, and Commercial Jazz.
Freshman Brenna Quigg’s favorite class was Afro-Fusion.
Some sophomores, juniors, and seniors also got the opportunity to audition for college and conservatory recruitment and college and summer intensive scholarships.
College of Charleston, Dean College, Point Park University, Coker University, Webster University, and Mercyhurst University were some of the colleges who offered scholarships to some of the JC dancers.
Additionally, JC dancers were recruited by programs including The Hartt School, University of Wisconsin-Madison, The Richmond Ballet, Peridance New York, AMDA, High Point University, Brenau University, Adelphi University, and West Virginia University.
Thursday night included a performance by College Dance Collective and a student reception at the hotel.
Sophomore Hannah Silwick described the performance as a “beautiful blend of styles merged together.”
Dancers also had the chance to visit a college fair and speak with members of these universities’ dance programs. Saturday evening, the dancers performed a piece by JC College Preparatory Dance Program Director Laura Ward-Moran, which was selected from many submissions, at the Hixon Theatre.
However, one of the best parts of the trip was being able to bond as a group.
Aaliyah Angel explained that as a freshman, the trip really helped her to create “a lot of stronger relationships with the other girls in the program.”
From dinner nights to ice cream trips to movies in the hotel rooms, all grade levels got the opportunity to spend time all together.
Overall, the Regional High School Dance Festival was an inspiring experience and a fun time for all.
Brenna said, “It teaches you not only to be a better dancer, but it also teaches life lessons.”
The Dance Program hopes to return to the National High School Dance Festival in Pittsburgh next year.
This year’s festival took place between March 6 through 10.