• :

Daylight Savings pushes clocks ahead one hour in March

Every year from the beginning of March to the beginning of November, Daylight Savings Time is in play. The purpose of this is for the practice of advancing clocks to make better use of the longer daylight available during the summer, so the darkness falls later.
This time can cause a stir in society because people have mixed opinions about it.
John Hopkins published an article which focused on the negative effects of daylight savings. One of those effects is that making the shift can increase health risks like heart attacks and strokes. It’s causing people to get less sleep, and the body wakes up before internal clocks are ready.
While there are negative effects, there are still some positives to daylight savings. Some of these positives are less crime activity, energy conservation, and fewer traffic accidents.
Junior Isabella Grace said “Daylight Savings Time is pointless and stupid. It’s a waste of time, and it doesn’t have lots of positive benefits, either. It’s filled with negative things like affecting people’s health, and that should outweigh all the positives completely.”
Religion Teacher Rhys Gadbois agreed and said, “There is no point in it, and we should not mess with it at all and just leave it be. We can adjust to the sunlight changes.”
Some people don’t think about it, though, and this time of year doesn’t affect them. The changing of times is just something they have to do twice a year, and it might take a week to adjust, and then things go back to normal.
People who care strongly about Daylight Savings Time even protest it and won’t even change their clocks back or forward.
CBS News said that not all states even participate in this. Hawaii and Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation) both don’t take part in this time. United States territories of Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands also do not participate.
Sophomore Addison Weaver said, “I don’t get the point behind Daylight Savings Time. We lose daylight just to then gain daylight back again in the next couple of months. Also, there’s a part of the world that does not participate in Daylight Savings Time, and their time and daylight hours are just fine.”