• :

Extra day in February brings reason for celebration

Another Leap Day has come and gone. Last month February had 29 days.
Leap Year only comes around once every four years where an extra day is added to the month of February.
It has now made its way to John Carroll. To celebrate this extra day, the Student Government Association planned activities throughout the day.
“The SGA decided on these activities because Leap Year only happens once every few years, and the SGA is always trying to connect with the students,” said SGA Moderator Anthony Davidson.
Dr. Davidson added that the uniqueness of the day led to the planning of the activities.  “We won’t get to do this again for another four years.”
In the morning, candy was passed out and jumping-related music played with the Patriot mascot dancing along.
The mascot wore a cape and a Leap Day t-shirt.  Throughout the morning, he did some of his own leaping to celebrate the day.
Some Patriots enjoyed the extra day for various reasons.
“I like Leap Day because it gave me an extra day to complete my reading goal,” said senior Emily Smith.
“I like Leap Day because I think it’s unfair that February only gets 28 days while every other month gets 30 or 31 days,” said sophomore Lizzy Fink.
“I liked that Black History Month got an extra day,” said junior Alannah Benson.
During the lunch mods, a table was set up where people could write their thoughts on Leap Day and enter a raffle for Amazon gift cards. At the end, there was also a photo booth for students to take pictures inspired by Leap Day.
“There was a banner promoting Leap Day thoughts from students and teachers,” said junior Evan DeVoe, who was in charge of the committee on behalf of the SGA.