• :

JC community filled with strong female figures

March is not just known for St. Patrick’s Day. It is also known as National Women’s History Month, a time of year when we celebrate the incredible contributions of women throughout history. It’s a time to reflect on the challenges women have overcome and their progress towards equality in various fields.
John Carroll is filled with incredible women who play pivotal roles in shaping the JC community. Female faculty and staff are vital as they bring diverse perspectives and experiences that enrich students’ educational environments. Even though JC is filled with hardworking people, these women are crucial to the JC community.
  College Counselor Kelly Smith advises students on college choices, applications, essays, and financial aid. She also provides emotional support.
Mrs. Smith found her passion at UMBC, where she pursued American Studies, focusing on Media and Communications with a minor in Women’s Studies. This path led her to Towson where she earned her Master’s degree.
Mrs. Smith said, “The incredible women around me inspire each step of the way. My best friend, Robyn, was a beacon of inspiration, and her memory is a constant source of strength, particularly on challenging days.”
  Mrs. Smith is grateful for being part of a community that uplifts and empowers— from her all-girls school to the women’s lacrosse team, from trailblazing professors to a supportive professional environment.
The ethos of “surround yourself with those who lift you” has been her mantra, turning naysayers into fuel for her determination to succeed.
Mrs. Smith added, “It’s vital to visualize ourselves in the roles we aspire to, to acknowledge and celebrate the women who lead and innovate in our communities, setting a powerful example for future generations.”
  Associate Director of Admissions Caroline Adolph is another remarkable woman in the JC community. Mrs. Adolph went to Fairfield University and studied English.
Mrs. Adolph said, “Some of the most influential ones to me are my older sisters who taught me to stand up for myself and to not be afraid of who I am, my best friend who taught me compassion and to love wholeheartedly, my former boss who taught me to embrace my intelligence and natural abilities and not shy away from my core beliefs, and my great aunt, who taught me strength in the face of adversity.”
  Mrs. Adolph has struggled with mental health most of her life, which has been a significant barrier to overcome. As a woman, it took a lot of overcoming getting lost in traditional gender roles.
She is very proud to be a wife and a mother, but there were many years when she lost herself in those roles and forgot who she was as a person. Finding her true self has made her a better wife, mother, and woman.
  Mrs. Adolph describes Women’s History Month as “a time to celebrate all the accomplishments of the amazing women who came before, those who walk this life in stride, and those who will come after.”
She looks to celebrate and empower women all year long, but it is a time to pause and reflect on how far women have come and how far women have to go.
Mrs. Adolph added, “For the JC community, it is essential to do the same: to look to the past, learn from the present, and strive for the future. We celebrate the women who shaped this school, especially the Sisters of St. Joseph who taught here for years and molded the foundation of our institution.”
  Mrs. Adolph’s message to young women is “Be who you are; stand up for your convictions; don’t be afraid to make mistakes; be guided by your moral compass, and don’t be afraid to use your voice. Be loud and take up space.”
  Marketing & Multimedia Director  Elizabeth Gay graduated from Bethany College in Bethany, West Virginia, with a degree in Mass Communications. She studied communications with a broadcasting track.
  Mrs. Gay is fortunate to have not faced significant barriers directly attributable to her gender. She recognizes that her journey has been smoother due to the efforts of those who came before her, who advocated for equality and broke down barriers.
However, she is committed to continuing their legacy by championing inclusivity and equality wherever she can.
  The most influential woman Mrs. Gay knows is a television producer; she started working for her as an intern in college and later as a freelance writer. She led Mrs. Gay through crucial career decisions and various life paths. To this day, she is a personal reference for her.
  Mrs. Gay said, “My advice for women aspiring to leadership positions is always to prioritize fairness, professionalism, and kindness. Please treat everyone with respect and integrity, regardless of their position or background. Remember that true leadership is not just about achieving personal success but also about lifting others and creating positive change in the world.”
  According to Mrs. Gay, National Women’s History Month is a time to celebrate gender equality achievements and to acknowledge the work still ahead. “It’s a personal moment of reflection on women’s empowerment, and for the JC community, it’s an occasion to honor women’s contributions in all areas of life.”
  American technology executive, philanthropist, and writer Sheryl Sandberg said, “In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders.”
We need more women in leadership until women are not defined by their gender but by their ability and character.