• :

Small goodies and treats can fill up an Easter basket

Easter is on Sunday. Stores have everything from stuffed animals, candy, egg dye, gift cards, and baskets.

Over the years, the gifts that have been found in Easter baskets have changed as people have aged. It started off with stuffed animals and candy and has eventually evolved to water bottles, gift cards, makeup, sports equipment and more.
Junior Ella Parks would like candy, gift cards, and clothes in her Easter basket this year. “I want candy because it is a part of the Easter theme, and I would like gift cards because I can use them often, and they are very convenient. I want clothes because I always need more.”
Freshman Gabby Reed would like lacrosse balls and Mini Cadbury Chocolate Eggs in her Easter basket. “The reason I want lacrosse balls is because I want to get better this year, and I always seem to lose them. The Cadbury Eggs are always my favorite to have around Easter because they are a sweet little treat.”
Teenagers love Starbucks. A Starbucks gift card would be the perfect addition to an Easter basket. Also, some parents like to add a golden egg to the fun and have their kids search for it around the house. Sometimes this golden egg will contain money and sometimes it will contain a small object.
Several teachers at JC have kids varying in age. English Teacher Allison Hall has two sons ages 14 and 25. She said, “I’ve made them baskets since they were toddlers. They both have their own interests and tastes, so my husband and I purchase different gift cards and candies for their baskets. I enjoy making up the baskets and watching them go through them.”
Math Teacher Theresa Pleiss has small children of her own. She said, “Before Easter we have always had a big tradition of dying Easter eggs with all of my cousins and their kids. For Easter, we go to my sister’s house in the morning for an egg hunt with my family, and then we go to my in-laws in the afternoon for dinner and an egg hunt with my husband’s family. My kids’ Easter baskets usually just have a lot of their favorites candies — mostly chocolate.”
According to a survey by RetailMeNot, this year, Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Eggs are the most popular candy in the U.S.
Even though there is a variety of candy that families can buy, DoSomething.org found that 70 percent of the candy bought was chocolate.
People who tend to buy gifts last minute have other options to get quality gifts fast. Amazon has a lot of gifts that will ship in two days or less. Also, they have a new feature where people can order food and it will be at the front step the same day.