Club Spotlight: Ultimate Frisbee welcomes new players

Looking for something to spice up your routine? News Editor Mitch Hopkins samples the offerings of the club scene around JC to help you decide what extracurriculars you should become involved in.

Mitch Hopkins, News Editor

I saw it turn and booked it down field to try and catch up with the disk. I went for the grab but instead ate it in the grass. Ultimate frisbee is as competitive as they come.

The Ultimate Frisbee Club meets every Friday at 3:30 p.m. after school, weather permitting. They play behind the baseball diamond with any members who can make it that day.

“I’ve been doing Ultimate Frisbee Club since the end of my freshman year. I found out about it through friends,” senior Joe Dotterweich said.

“It’s a great way to get a little bit of exercise, have some fun, and meet new people,” chemistry teacher Shane Lawler, another veteran of the club, said.

I went to a meeting on Sept. 26. After only a couple possessions by each team, I was thoroughly winded from trying to keep up with the pace of the game, even though I am in great shape from cross country. I thought it would be more joking around, but I very quickly got into the game and was diving and sprinting to try and make plays. Admittedly, I got burned many times by the person I was covering.

History teacher Anthony Del Puppo is the head of the Ultimate Frisbee Club.

“I started the club back in 2004 during my first year of teaching at JC. Originally, the biggest problem I had was having too many people come out and play. Now I have to recruit in the school each year,” Del Puppo said.

The Ultimate Frisbee Club is always looking for people.

“Come out and try it. You have to try it once, you never know,” Lawler said.

Del Puppo agrees. “If anyone out there has a competitive spirit, but isn’t playing a fall sport, they should come out and play,” he said.

Mitch Hopkins is a News Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.