• :

Headlines You Missed: Week of Oct. 4th

Every week, “The Patriot” scours the web to bring you headlines from around the world. Please note that no original reporting is involved. Feel free to discuss these stories at the bottom of the page.

São Paulo, Brazil – Professional clown Francisco Everardo Oliveira Silva, also known as Tiririca (“Grumpy”), has won a seat in the Brazilian Congress. Polls estimate that Tiririca won 1.3 million votes, which is much more than any other candidate. However, he may not be able to accept the position because of illiteracy claims. In an interview with Época magazine, Tiririca became nervous after the interviewer asked him to read poll questions. Instead of reading them himself, he had aides read them aloud. Tiririca has 10 days to prove to a judge that he can read and write, or else he will lose his seat in Congress. Approximately 10 percent of Brazil’s population is illiterate.

Read more at usatoday.com.

Chattaroy, Washington – After putting a ban on the “I Heart Boobies” breast cancer bracelets, the administration at Riverside High School suspended nine students who refused to remove the bracelets. The students say they were showing support not only for breast cancer but also for a classmate with a brain tumor. Concerned with the inappropriate message on the bracelets and the distraction they cause, administrators then compromised and allowed students to wear the bracelets turned inside out. Three students still refused to comply and were suspended on Monday. The same week, the school cancelled a “Relay for Life” event focused on breast cancer due to lack of interest.

Read more at krem.com.

London, England – Britain officially recognized Druidry as a religion on Saturday, giving it benefits such as a charitable status. The religion dates back to the time of the Celts and focuses on deities that take shape in nature. The religion is known for its cloaked worshipers holding ceremonies at places like Stonehedge. The Druid Network, comprised of around 350 members in Britain, stated in its application to the Charity Commission for England and Wales that despite popular belief, they do not sacrifice humans and/or animals as part of their worship.

Read more at blogs.cnn.com.

Collin Hoofnagle can be reached for comment at [email protected]