Senior Project hopes to combat self harm

Angela DeCarlo

Senior Megan Greig gives her testimony about “mattering” at the Horizons Concert. 74 people attended the concert and $455.10 were raised to support To Write Love on Her Arms.

Angela DeCarlo, Copy Editor

Depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide affect many students. Change is being advocated at the Horizon Concert. The night provided inspiration for the struggling and hope for relief.

The event was on March 21. Doors opened at 6:30 p.m. and it started at 7:00 in the auditorium. Admission was free and donations were accepted for the non-profit organization To Write Love on Her Arms.

According to senior Jessie Clingerman, 74 people attended and $455.10 was raised. Clingerman organized the event for her senior project and to help the cause. She has worked on setting the event up since January and has encouraged student and faculty volunteers.

“It is a unique experience because it benefits not only for those who are receiving the donations but for those who are there. It meets you where you are, whether you are struggling, have a friend who is struggling, or if you just want to be there to support or inspire yourselves,” Clingerman said.

Local bands, poetry, and testimonies were included within the night’s show. Four bands were booked to play, including the band Sketchy Walrus, made of sophomores Conrad Gagnon and Lilly Stannard, senior Matt Wagner, and Calvert Hall junior Josh Miller.

Senior Megan Greig gave a testimony and junior Charlotte Molali read a poem. Sophomore Avery van der Steur played a solo selection and alumni ’13 Nick Henninger was the stage manager.

“Music and speaking is emotionally affective so I think that it is important that we can have an event to come together to experience it,” senior Daniel Hentschel said. Hentschel and fine arts teacher Marc Bolden worked on sound at the concert.

Director of Guidance Carol Heflin and guidance counselor Kathleen Barnes were there to support the cause and offer aid anyone who needs it. “I think that it is really important to raise awareness for those who are coping with the stresses of their lives in a self-harming way,” Heflin said.

The event was held to find faith and assistance in any way possible. Resources for help and support were provided at the concert.

Clingerman hopes that “it [made] a difference for at least one person.”

Angela DeCarlo is a Copy Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.