How Trump plans to ‘Make America Great Again’

With his recent election, students should understand how Trump's policies will affect their everyday lives

Donald Trump speaks on October 26, 2016, in Washington, D.C. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

Trump’s policy

Trump intends to make immigration more selective in order to prioritize the jobs, wages, and security of the American people. To make this happen, he plans on enforcing immigration laws, blocking funding for sanctuary cities, temporarily suspending immigration from regions that transmit terrorism, and building a wall on the Mexican and U.S. border that will be financed by Mexico.

Why you should care
Securing the borders affects the economy. Changes to immigration rules and enforcement may make it more difficult for Mexicans and other immigrants to enter the United States and obtain jobs. This could cause changes to the prices of everyday items and their availability.

Trump’s policy
Trump is looking to repeal and replace Obamacare, work with Congress to develop a better health care system, and maximize flexibility for states. He will do this by allowing people to use health savings accounts, which are tax-free, in order to accumulate savings. In addition, he will work with Congress to create a patient-centered health care system. 

Why you should care
If you or a family member has prescription medications, then you’ve probably noticed the rise in prices in the past few years. The costs of medicine and insurance have skyrocketed over the past decade and are expected to continue rising in 2017. Trump’s proposed changes to healthcare could affect how much you or your family members pay for medicine and coverage.

Trump’s policy
Trump plans to reduce taxes, especially for working and middle-income Americans, as well as to update both corporate and individual taxes. In order to put this plan into motion, he will reduce the number of tax brackets, which are the divisions where tax rates change, from seven brackets to three. He will also lower the business tax from 35 percent to 15 percent.

Why you should care
Check your paycheck because every payday, you’re paying the government. How much of your hard-earned money goes to the government should matter.

Trump’s policy
Trump aims to negotiate fair trade deals to create jobs, increase wages, and reduce America’s trade deficit. He plans to accomplish this by renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) in order to get a better deal for America. He also plans to appoint tough and intelligent negotiators to make fair trade deals.

Why you should care
Trade deals will impact your future job, how much you make, and what jobs are available. Trade can affect the prices of everyday items and the country’s relationships with foreign countries.

Lauren Becker is a News Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.