In case you missed it: Week of Feb. 20

The Patriot recaps what has happened over the past week in the community and makes sure nothing passed you by. Have a look, and catch up on the news just in case you missed it.

Enrollment assistant Susan Roarty hands a photo prop to a prospective student at A Closer Look.  A Closer Look was held on Thursday, Feb. 23 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. to give admitted students a final look at the school.

Enrollment assistant Susan Roarty hands a photo prop to a prospective student at A Closer Look. A Closer Look was held on Thursday, Feb. 23 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. to give admitted students a final look at the school.

Elizabeth Harmison

Elizabeth Harmison

PHG Phonathon

On Tuesday, Feb. 21, the Patriot Hospitality Group held their annual phonathon. This event involved students who are members of the group calling the recently accepted students. The Patriot Hospitality Group members read from a script to notify the students of their acceptance and to welcome them to the JC family.

Modified H-Day Schedule

On Wednesday, Feb. 22, the usual H-Day schedule was modified. Some classes were 50 minutes long and there was a 30 minute community period. During this community period, sophomores had a class meeting about preparing for college while freshmen, juniors, and seniors remained in their advisories. Once the sophomores returned to their advisories, a lockdown drill and a shelter-in-place drill occurred.

A Closer Look

Thursday, Feb. 23, A Closer Look was held at JC. This event provided admitted students an up close look at the school and its facilities, much like the open house in the fall. Teachers, coaches, and faculty were present to answer questions and provide information about the school. Current students volunteered at the event by greeting families as they arrived, serving as tour guides, being a part of a student panel and answering questions from prospective families, mingling with prospective families in the Café, and sending off families as they left the event.

Even the students who helped facilitate the event, including senior Anna Smith, enjoyed it. “I enjoyed signing people in because it’s the job I’ve been doing with A Closer Look since sophomore year. It’s nice being able to talk to each student,” Smith said.

Masquerade Dance

This past Friday, Feb. 24, students had the chance to attend a Mardis Gras themed masquerade dance. This dance served as a fundraiser for the junior class. The dance took place in the cafeteria from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and tickets were 10 dollars.

Anna Kotula is a Contributor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.