In case you missed it: Week of Feb. 27

The Patriot recaps what has happened over the past week in the community and makes sure nothing passed you by. Have a look, and catch up on the news just in case you missed it.

Athletes+and+their+parents+gather+around+the+dessert+table+at+the+Athletic+Banquet+for+fall+and+winter+sports.+The+banquet+was+held+on+Tuesday%2C+Feb.+29+in+the+Upper+Gym+and+celebrated+the+various+successes+of+teams+and+athletes.+
Athletes and their parents gather around the dessert table at the Athletic Banquet for fall and winter sports. The banquet was held on Tuesday, Feb. 29 in the Upper Gym and celebrated the various successes of teams and athletes.

Alyssa Kraus

Alyssa Kraus

Senior Class Trip to D.C.

On Monday, Feb. 27, the senior class and teacher chaperones travelled to Washington D.C. First, they visited Arlington National Cemetery. Seniors Olivia Barnhart, Olivia Lang, Andrew Moss, and Seth Anderson participated in the Laying of the Wreath Ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Many students, including senior Olivia Barnhart enjoyed the ceremony. “It was really cool to experience, but the soldiers were very intimidating,” Barnhart said. The seniors also visited the Holocaust Museum. They then travelled to Union Station for lunch. They arrived back to JC around 6:15 p.m.

Fall/Winter Sports Banquet

Fall and winter athletes were celebrated this past Tuesday, Feb. 29. This annual ceremony took place in the upper gym from 6p.m. to 10p.m. Dinner was served and then each fall and winter sport was announced and a summary of their season was given. Student athletes who played a varsity sport then received a varsity letter and/or a pin for their sport. Then, individual awards were announced. Students achieving all-county, all-state, and other division awards were recognized.

Next, the Patriot Awards were announced. One athlete was chosen from each varsity sport to win this award. The award was given to the student who best embodies a Patriot athlete. The night ended with a reveal of the new Patriot Sports app which is available on the App Store.

Ash Wednesday

On March 1, Ash Wednesday was celebrated at JC. Ash Wednesday, a Holy Day on the liturgical calendar, marks the beginning of Lent, a time of fasting and prayer. Students, teachers, and faculty attended the Ash Wednesday Mass during the H-Day assembly period. The liturgy was celebrated by Fr. Steve Sutton.

Anna Kotula is a Contributor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.