Work continues in building to prepare for eventual return of John Carroll’s students and staff

Mackenzie Snyder, Entertainment Editor

While students snooze their alarms for the long closure from school due to the Coronavirus, the Facilities Department is on the John Carroll campus and is working hard to prepare for school to begin again.

“For us, disinfection is the most important, and the top priority is for the physical building,” said Director of Facilities Mr. Joe McGrain. “We will be doing a complete sanitation of the school from the third floor down to the athletic locker rooms.”

“Through the next couple weeks, Clean Image will be doing a deep cleaning and disinfecting every room,” said Mr. McGrain in a March 17 email to faculty and staff. “It is similar to what occurs during the summer but at an even-higher degree.”

A few maintenance projects had been finished before the Facilities team’s schedule changed as a result of the closure.

“We are working with a very limited staff and plan to stay within small areas of the school,” said Mr. McGrain.

Only essential employees have been allowed into the building. Included are school security officer Sergeant Clarence Nichols, one person in the administrative wing, one person in the IT department, one person from Aladdin catering to provide food for the dorm students, and two facility members.

One thing that Mr. McGrain noted in his March 17 email was a “seal” that would be placed on the doors of each room after it would be disinfected. “It will be a document on the door. This method will ensure the room has been disinfected until you, yourself breaks the seal,” he wrote to the staff.

Principal Tom Durkin has also been going into school every day.

“When I get to school, I usually have at least 100 emails to respond to,” said Mr. Durkin.

“I also have weekly conference calls with the Archdiocese of Baltimore with all the other heads of Catholic schools. I have Zoom conferences with the Associated Independent Maryland Schools (AIMS) main office personnel and the principals/heads of schools of over 100 AIMS schools at least once per week. In both meetings (AoB and AIMS), we review what other schools are doing, what challenges they are experiencing, and what is succeeding.”

Mr. Durkin is also keeping in touch with the school board. “I have Microsoft Team meetings with my principal’s team three times per week and a conference call weekly with President DiBiagio’s executive team. These meetings are to review all student, parent,  and faculty concerns, as well as examining calendar events, providing effective and timely communication,” he said. “I also make sure to check in with department chairs and teachers as needed.”

Mr. Durkin said that he hopes to have students return after spring break (Since the interview, students and staff have learned that schools would remain closed through April 24).

“I want the students to know that we are all here for them.  Teachers, counselors, and staff are all available to support our students. We miss seeing our students in the classrooms, in the hallways, in the cafeteria, on the stage, and on the athletic fields,”  Mr. Durkin said.