Thanksgiving Day plans change for JC community

Madison Elliott, News Editor

After closely monitoring COVID cases  found within Harford County and Maryland as a whole, we have begun to see a major rise in cases. This could interfere with some Thanksgiving Day plans. 

The normal Thanksgiving Day plans for families often consist of traveling to be with family and friends to have a large feast so they can give thanks for the important things and people in their lives.

Test positivity rates in Maryland have continued to rise over the past few days and is now over 5.8% according to the Maryland Department of Health. With the current rise in cases, people become limited of what is permitted at this time.

The Maryland Health Department states,  “At this time, the CDC warns that travel increases your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.”

This would mean that Thanksgiving Day travels are not advised at this time. 

Many Thanksgiving Day meals this year may be rather small than compared to other years. Some family members may not be able to visit due to the high risks of traveling during the pandemic.

A survey sent to JC students on Friday, November 13 showed opinions from each side of the argument.

Freshman Yianni Bonincontri commented, “I think that the CDC’s recommendations are trying to help us avoid the spread of Coronavirus, and if they think that the recommendations would protect us and our families, then we should listen but still try to enjoy Thanksgiving. We should evaluate how we feel about family gatherings ourselves, but the CDC is a good guideline for what we should be doing.”

There are many people who feel as though the CDC guidelines are important to follow.

On the opposite side of the argument, many people feel as though Thanksgiving is an important time to gather with family and friends. Some say that an occasion such as Thanksgiving is a time to make exceptions to the rules. 

Junior Travis Smith said, “I believe families should be allowed to gather on Thanksgiving like every other year. At some point, life will have to return to normal, so now is as great a time as ever just to get everyone together, and it is a risk worth taking.”

This also goes along with Maryland Governor Larry Hogan’s limits to the size of social gatherings down to 10 people maximum indoors and 25 people for outdoors if families decide to still hold some gatherings.

Another popular event taking place around Thanksgiving is Black Friday Shopping. 

This event often begins around the night  of Thanksgiving into the following day. Black Friday Shopping is an event where stores have huge sales going on that people are willing to spend hours waiting for and fighting to get the good deals. 

The problem that is facing customers and stores is that the craze of Black Friday shopping bunches too many people in one space at a time. There would be no social distancing, and people may be traveling from all over to get to their favorite store.

Many stores, such as Bath and Body Works, Best Buy, Target, and others, have already announced a Thanksgiving closure.

Most of these stores do not want to be held accountable for having the rush of people and  breaking distancing precautions as well as guest limits. If even one of those shoppers were to be sick, the whole store is then at risk. 

Other traditions that may be altered could be the famous Macy’s Day Parade, the local Turkey Bowl with Calvert Hall against Loyola, and more.

Although many changes may be happening, not all traditions will have to be altered. Differences could be smaller family dinners. There can still be small family gatherings, giving thanks, having the prized feast, or even watching a Thanksgiving Day classic, “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving .”