Winter dress code to be back in full swing beginning Monday

Enforcement stronger since leniency last year during hybrid learning

Meghan Kerr, Senior Coverage Editor

As the weather gets colder, students need to begin preparing for a greater enforcement of the uniform policy. However, after last year’s relaxed rules due to COVID-19, many students are in for a rude awakening.

This year’s uniform policy, as described by Dean of Students Sean Ireton, “is back to normal without sweatpants and without unauthorized sweatshirts. Last year we allowed students to wear tennis shoes, and this year we’re back to dress shoes.”
However, many students are not thrilled about the strict policies being put into place this winter.
Junior Grace Welzenbach said, “I feel that we should have a uniform sweatpant because it is more comfortable and would provide a better learning environment in this freezing-cold school.”
Junior Giada Scotto Di Carlo commented, “I don’t like how (the dress code) restricts us to only wearing leggings and tights because sweatpants are the preferred option for many people since they are not only warmer, but also comfier.”
Other than students being unable to wear sweatpants under their skirts, the option of wearing tennis shoes and non-uniform sweatshirts is also strictly prohibited.
Students such as junior Mathias Mingle are unaffected by this change. He said, “I don’t care about the new dress code because uniform shoes and sweatshirts are just as comfortable as non-uniform shoes and sweatshirts.”
Although it can be assumed that many students are reluctant to return to a stricter winter dress code, Mr. Ireton said that the rules are in place for good reason.
“The reasons why girls are not allowed to wear sweatpants is because this is what makes us different from every other school. We want our students to represent themselves, the school, and some of the dress code rules that we have here are meant to just do that,” Mr. Ireton said.
“If we allow the students to wear sweatpants, how would that make us different from other schools? You know, being dressed appropriately is a big part of success in life,” he added
Other than being enforced to make students look put together and to prepare them for the future, some uniform policies have been put into place for safety reasons.
Mr. Ireton said, “Some of the dress code policies that were put into place for safety reasons are the masks. We went ahead and considered it part of our uniforms, but the fact-of-the matter is that we want all of our students to be safe and healthy.”