Two educators honored after Patriots Week Mass

Miel Pearce, Staff Writer

Two of John Carroll’s favorite people are retiring. At the conclusion of the Patriots Week Mass, the administration honored Dean of Students Sean Ireton and Religion Department Chairman Joseph Gallen for their years of service.

Mr. Ireton has been working at John Carroll for 17 years full-time and 11 years part-time. He is excited to have more time to spend with his grandchildren and children now.
Assistant Principal Jake Hollin said, “I think our entire community will miss Mr. Ireton tremendously. He is a leader in our community, and his heart is to help students make the right decisions. Personally, I am very close with Mr. Ireton and will miss him greatly. He is an amazing man who is a wonderful educator.”
Some of Mr. Ireton’s favorite memories at JC have been winning three football championships and being named Educator of the Year. He said the best part of working with John Carroll students was “watching [the students] mature intellectually and spiritually and, most importantly, watching them grow up into who they are.”
Mr. Ireton plans to stay involved with the school and has some parting thoughts for students: “They all have a light to shine, and I would hope they would share it with each other.” His advice to future deans: “Listen, teach, hold accountability within reason, and let it go.”
Senior Emily Baronoski, who lifted weights with Mr. Ireton said, “I’ll miss working out with Mr. Ireton and how much he motivates me to lift more and reach my fullest potential.”
Dr. Gallen has been at John Carroll since 1996, teaching in the religion department and serving as the chairman as well.
Dr. Gallen’s favorite memories at John Carroll have included his two children successfully completing their education at JC, the both professional and personal friendships he has made with his fellow faculty members, and the sports teams championships that the school has won, especially men’s basketball two years ago.
Dr. Gallen also leaves students with some parting advice: “Appreciate the present moment, and don’t get distracted by the worries of the future.”