Class of 2023 senior girls take the win

Meghan Kerr, Perspectives Editor

John Carroll students were able to watch the traditional Powderpuff game for a festive Spirit Week activity. The game consisted of flag football with juniors and seniors facing off against each other.

Both classes had their teams coached by their moderators as seniors were coached by Dean of Student Services Larry Hensley and Instructional Coach Hayley Howe. Juniors were coached by Service Coordinator Kate Webb (standing in Junior Moderator Kelly Smith) and Athletic Trainer Erik Fabriziani.

The referees for the game included Mr. Mark Modeste, Mr. Matt Blair, Mr. Delbert Cowsette, and Mr. Jordan Smith. Vice Principal Jake Hollin served as the game’s announcer.

The game began stressful for seniors with juniors taking a lead at the end of the first period. Both teams were tied at halftime. However, in the second half, seniors came back with two touchdowns and a two-point conversion.

By the end of the game, seniors had beaten the juniors 28-14.

Ms. Webb shared, “It was a competitive game, but in the end, both teams had fun, and that’s the most important part.”

Mr. Hensley said that he “thought it was a really great game. Both teams were exceptionally prepared and brought a competitive spirit.”

JC seniors Ella Steck and Olivia Chesla acted as the running backs for the senior team with Ella earning the team’s three touchdowns and a safety and Olivia earning one touchdown and a safety.

Regarding her touchdown, Olivia said she was “surprised because I thought my flag had been taken, but I was excited because of the touchdown.”

She also shared her love for Powderpuff. “[It is] fun because you get to be with your fellow classmates and have a friendly rivalry with the other class.”

Even though they lost, the juniors still put in a strong effort during the game and used the opportunity to connect with their own classmates as well as the senior class.

Junior Julia Ward said, “It’s a way for both of our classes to unite during Spirit Week.”

The Powderpuff game sent a wave of spirit through the JC student section as well, with juniors and seniors cheering their classmates on, and freshmen and sophomores showing their support.

Junior Joshua Kopp revealed, “The energy was unmatched, and the student section was highly-involved in the game.”

At halftime, representatives from the freshman and sophomore classes participated in a field goal kick-off. Most of the kicks went through the goal post, allowing the freshmen and sophomores to score evenly throughout the competition.

The Powderpuff game brought all classes together and spread unity within the entire JC community.