• :

Director of Facilities says farewell to JC after six years

Effective at the end of today, Director of Facilities Joe McGrain is retiring from his position at John Carroll.
Mr. McGrain has spent six years of his professional career working at John Carroll. For the past five years, he has managed the facilities department. Previously, he was on operation teams for graphic art and home healthcare organizations.
In his time at JC, Mr. McGrain has led several large renovations, including the Learning Commons, auditorium, courtyard, and science wing. These projects have improved the learning experience for current students and many more who will follow.
Mr. McGrain said, “There have been so many worth-while projects, each of which has always been thoroughly thought through to make the most impact on our students.”
His favorite memory of working at John Carroll is the transformation of the auditorium. “Taking the lead on this project to finish this beautiful space was very satisfying.”
Mr. McGrain added that he will miss the people who he gets to work with. “We have a caring community of staff and faculty who put each of our students first.”
Whenever any teachers have a problem, Mr. McGrain will be there to solve it.
French teacher Giulia Beccarelli said, “He is super-efficient and the man to call. When there is a problem, he will get it done. Even in a stressful situation, Mr. McGrain will keep calm and complete the job. I don’t know how the school will function without him. It will take multiple people to replace him.”
Mr. McGrain could always be found in the halls, going from one project to another.
Junior Nelia Kelleher said, “Mr. McGrain is always a friendly face we see throughout the school.”
English Chairman Matthew Blair said, “Aside from him as a person, I will miss his responsiveness to any problems that we might have and his pleasant demeanor.”
Mr. McGrain has made a huge impact on the school through all the projects he has completed and all of the people who he has assisted.
Mr. Blair said, “He has been the most effective Facilities Manager in the time that I have been at John Carroll.”
In his upcoming retirement, Mr. McGrain is looking forward to spending more time with his family. His final message he wants to give to the Patriot community is “Love well. Respect each other.”