• :

Patriot Pathways continues into sophomore year

Patriot Pathways is a once-a-cycle class run by Assistant Principal Jake Hollin.
In previous years, Patriot Pathways was a freshman class, but this year it has changed to become both a freshman and sophomore class.
Mr. Hollin said, “We really wanted to have a seminar-style class for our tenth graders as well. In tenth grade we are individualizing it to try to get them to a place where they are growing as individuals, and they are taking on ownership over a number of life skills and things that will help them later in life.”
The overall message for sophomores in the class is that “they are capable. We cover leadership and financial literacy skills, and then we talk about preparation for both college and career.” Mr. Hollin also said that the sophomores will begin working on their “Patriot Project,” which is “an individualized opportunity to do deeper research, work on presentation skills, and really focus on something that they intend on possibly doing a career, a passion, something that would be of interest to them.”
This class has been very beneficial and will stay a freshman and sophomore class moving forward. Mr. Hollin said, “We now have a seminar-style class for all four years, so it will remain the same. That curriculum is in place to be there.”
In the end, this class is important to sophomores because “it’s equipping them to be leaders in our school. For many years, this sophomore level was maybe less focused on.”
“We were very proud of the work we had completed with our ninth graders, and then there was this lull in between when they became eleventh and twelfth graders, so we really wanted to provide them with the training that they need to be successful,” he said.
Mr. Hollin added, “I think what most sophomores are going to find coming out of this is a greater sense of who they are and how they can have a bigger impact on the world.”
This class is not only important to freshmen and teaches them about the overall philosophy and mission of the school, but it now teaches sophomores all different kinds of lessons about their skill sets and how to truly step up and find who they are.
This will help them throughout the rest of high school and into adult life.