Club sports provide a chance for students to stay active

Ryan Griffin

Caption: Junior Will Gianelli covers senior Nick Deloriers as he searches for an open teammate to throw the frisbee to in a competitive game of ultimate frisbee. Both players competed against each other on Friday, Sept. 29. The Ultimate Frisbee Club meets every Friday in the fall. For each session, around 10-15 players come. The Ultimate Frisbee Club is moderated by Shane Lawler and Anthony Del Puppo.

Ryan Griffin, Perspectives Editor

As of right now, the only opportunity for students to play a sport at JC is to be a part of a varsity or JV team. In order to be a part of the team and get playing time, it requires a large amount of time and effort. If a student does not have time to invest, then the only opportunity for them is to take gym class or join one of the few clubs that are focused around a sport, such as the Ultimate Frisbee Club. Having more clubs and an intramural program would allow more students to participate in sports, even if JV or varsity is not for them.

The only clubs that focus on a sport and getting exercise are the Ultimate Frisbee Club and the Fishing Club. While these clubs meet on a regular basis, the weekly meetings are not enough time to promote an active and athletic lifestyle.

Many students get cut from sports teams and some students don’t have the time or skill to try out in the first place. Having a more casual club or team would let students still experience the fun and competition that varsity and JV teams have, without the same kind of training and workouts that those teams have.  Those clubs would also help to get people in better shape and in a healthier condition, adding even more benefits to having casual sports.

Having a singular sports club would provide more opportunities for exercise than the already existing groups. Ideally, these clubs would meet several times a week, and participants would play sports to help them stay active. This would help provide an environment in which the club members could further develop their skills or play so they do not lose those skills.

Another solution that could be offered is an intramural club or league that plays multiple sports, compared to a club which focuses on one similar sport. This would be similar to the gym classes offered to freshman and seniors. The intramural club could meet three to five times a week. In this program, the members would split into multiple teams and would play a variety of sports, perhaps a different one at every meeting.

The intramural club would provide different benefits over a singular club system. Members would get to learn a variety of skills from multiple sports instead of just one. Many sports require similar muscle functions and motions, such as the strength needed to throw both a baseball or a football. While practicing those skills, participants would improve their ability to play many sports and be more successful in games.

Providing more opportunities for developing teenagers to be active multiple times a week through sports provides more benefits than just physical ones. In order for a team to win, they must be able to develop multiple strategies. Putting students in a position where they have to strategize involves critical thinking.

Another benefit of team sports is developing better communication skills. In order for an athlete to properly carry out a strategy, he or she must have a way of communicating with his or her team. This provides an opportunity to hone communication skills if there is room for improvement in that area.

Intramural and club sports also provide a competitive, fun environment where it doesn’t matter who wins because there is no record. This environment would allow student-athletes to increase their athletic ability in many different sports. Adding additional sports programs would help students build a healthy foundation for the rest of their life.

Ryan Griffin is a Perspectives Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.